minimal feeding requirements

I am investigating sprouted fodder (wheat or barley seeds) as a way to cut down on feed costs and also to make sure the chickens get reasonable greens as their scorched earth policy removes that option in the small yard area they have!

I just purchased a pound of white clover seeds to experiment with, and am planning to make "salad bars" in their yard area...possibly a couple of repurposed pallets...

Just some thoughts, no empirical evidence...but it would cut down on feed costs for sure...

I also currently ferment alfalfa cubes (has been a blessing in the winter and I will continue this in future winters) which is fed out separately with the fermented feed...that cuts down considerably on feed costs and is high protein and other goodies. I stick with the bagged food though to make sure they are getting what they need of additional balanced food...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1157838/fermented-alfalfa-cubes-how-to

Last edited:
My flock costs about $40 to $60 a month in feed, and that's for 18 adults and a varying number of younger chicks and teenage cockerels. And that's with free ranging in a climate and on a property that allows for a good amount of forage year round. I don't think skimping on feed is ever a wise choice.

My flock costs about $40 to $60 a month in feed, and that's for 18 adults and a varying number of younger chicks and teenage cockerels. And that's with free ranging in a climate and on a property that allows for a good amount of forage year round. I don't think skimping on feed is ever a wise choice.
Did I miss a post? I did not read about any one on this thread talking about skimping on feed.

Well the title of the thread is 'minimum feeding requirements'. I interpret it as asking 'how little can I get away with feeding?'
Have you read the contents of the thread, or answered based only on thread title? No one is skimping here. What we are doing is talking about providing superior nutrition and housing with minimal impact on the wallet.

Kudos to Lazy Gardener et al who rightly understand that I am not trying to create a chicken death camp.

I neither want to coddle my hens nor give them things they don't need, including unnecessary meds. I also do not have names for them although I have grown attached to them and they exist largely to provide me and my family with eggs and fertilizer for the garden. They also provide good pest control. They are NOT my pets but they are critters whose healthy lives are important to me and whose existence I respect as much as any other creature on this earth.

It is clear to me from the great advice from Lazy Gardener et alia, that I can do a great deal more to save money, while also improving my birds' diet and resistance to parasites and infections. Who could say no to that?

To wit, I have access to lots of leaves on my property and plan on bagging them in the fall. I had wondered if there was enough "cushion" on the coop floor for birds flying down several feet off the roosts; wondered also about the wet factor on my plywood floor (didn't get around to sealing it before it was time to move the birds in).

Also, everything I've read here seems positive for fermentation; I'm going to give it try with the next feed bag, hopefully the cheaper kind you mentioned; I have been giving them, as mentioned, a 22% feed because my friendly feed-and-seed guy in Ellsworth is a knowledgeable guy with his own flock and isn't repeating something he saw on Youtube or anywhere else (not that I don't like Youtube, Youtube is a terrific site).

Also, yes to the whole grain additives which I may introduce slowly to the mash as they get used to new feed and in a new form.

Thanks much.

OP, do you have a handle on how many acres the flock actually forages?

Forested areas might have a large standing crop of animal forages but such locations do NOT generally provide sustained forage when worked over hard by chickens. Edge areas between forbes dominated and forested areas far more productive.

If compost piles to be used, then I suggest more than one and spread them out.

Consider using feeding stations where only one type of feed / grain is available. What I have done is setup three feeding stations at least 50 apart. One is provided with a protein rich gamebird grower, another with shell corn and oats. and another with BOSS. Other grains can be used as well. Generally speaking, as forage is depleted, one type of nutrient such as protein or energy becomes limiting first. If energy becomes limiting first then the corn feed station will have to be refilled more often. If protein or some vitamin is the issue, then the complete feed will be targeted. With such a setup I also have a feeding station that has oyster shell and grit.

Last edited:
Some notes regarding the last two weeks:

I've been fermenting my layer feet pellets for a little less than two weeks now, started supplementing with oats two days ago. Still too early to tell if they are eating less; thus far, it seems they are eating more. Laying has improved markedly but that may be the weather factor (I know, everyone says, it's just a factor of there being more light in their day). They naturally drink a lot less due to the water content in the feed. The biggest difference I've noticed actually is that their poop looks healthier, perfect I should say, when previously it was less so.

I added a poop board and the floor of the coop has since cleaned up nicely; I like the wood shavings and considering how clean it is now probably will only have to replace every other month. I took Lazy Gardener's advice about using leaves and now have a run filled with them. Plenty left over from the fall that didn't get raked, oak central here. Great idea to deal with the spring damp and I'm also using them now to intermix with the manure compost.

I'm planning on adding some rye-seeded beds to the larger run I'm building so they can get fresh stuff without going out in the garden area (soon to be fenced off); not my original idea but something I saw on this site, where the OP had built raised beds and covered them with hardware cloth, allowing the grass to grow through but also keeping the birds from destroying the plants.

Some notes regarding the last two weeks:

I've been fermenting my layer feet pellets for a little less than two weeks now, started supplementing with oats two days ago. Still too early to tell if they are eating less; thus far, it seems they are eating more. Laying has improved markedly but that may be the weather factor (I know, everyone says, it's just a factor of there being more light in their day). They naturally drink a lot less due to the water content in the feed. The biggest difference I've noticed actually is that their poop looks healthier, perfect I should say, when previously it was less so.

I added a poop board and the floor of the coop has since cleaned up nicely; I like the wood shavings and considering how clean it is now probably will only have to replace every other month. I took Lazy Gardener's advice about using leaves and now have a run filled with them. Plenty left over from the fall that didn't get raked, oak central here. Great idea to deal with the spring damp and I'm also using them now to intermix with the manure compost.

I'm planning on adding some rye-seeded beds to the larger run I'm building so they can get fresh stuff without going out in the garden area (soon to be fenced off); not my original idea but something I saw on this site, where the OP had built raised beds and covered them with hardware cloth, allowing the grass to grow through but also keeping the birds from destroying the plants.
Looks like you are moving forward with good progress being made.

Back
Top Bottom