Minimalist coop help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DianeS, Sep 21, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Not minimalist in size, but in materials and time to completion. To make a long story short, I may be getting my chickens before the coop is ready. Oops! So I need to finish the coop quickly - well enough to keep them safe, and improve it to my original plan later.

I have the frame ready - basically a 4x4x4 box. (Four chickens.) I must do the floor the correct way. And I think I must do the roof the correct way. It will be a raised coop, so I must do the stilts the right way.

But for about a week or so, could I just do all the walls in hardware cloth? No solid sides at all? It will eventually have solid sides, but I don't have a vehicle to pick up the wood for a while yet, and after that it will still take a while to add the solid sides to the coop, because I want them hinged so I can let them down either partially or entirely in nice weather. The hens haven't started to lay yet, so no need for next boxes yet. And they sleep on the ground still, so no need for roosts yet. Just security at night.

The days right now are in the 70s and 80s. The nights are in the low 50s. I could put a tarp over it if its supposed to be windy, but there hasn't been rain in weeks and not likely to be any. But I don't want to overestimate the hens' ability to handle the weather.

Give me your thoughts, please. Is this an acceptable temporary idea? Is there something else I might be able to do that would be faster or easier? Thanks in advance!

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Two of my coops have tarp and hardware wire.

My husband was building them, but passed away in July and I just don't have it in me to finish them right now.

One does have 3 sides, but they aren't finished yet.

If your birds are old enough they should be alright while you finish up.

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I really like that you have the hardware cloth and that you will solid it up. But, if you can put some scrap metal or pallets up against the very secure hardware cloth it will just keep the predators from scaring them at night. I'm rooting for you.

4. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I did forget to say the age, didn't I? They're all between 4-6 months of age. So just about ready to lay, they just haven't yet.

I'm glad to hear the hardware cloth "box" will be acceptable for a little while. We do get snow in October here so I'll work fast to get those sides up.

If anyone has an idea for something easier or faster I'm still listening!

5. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    This should be fine until the weather gets down close to freezing at night. Then you might want to give them a little more insulation. They can handle quite a bit of cold as long as they're dry and out of the wind.

6. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

pallets are free typically, tarps are great waterproofing, even black plastic in rolls. Layer it well, and u can put wire or straps ( those wratcheting ones are wonderful) to keep the plastic from flapping. a pallet with some scrap vinyl flooring will work for the bottom. and you can layer hay, and or shavings. it wont be pretty, but just keep the north wind off them and the rain out and they will make it. then when u have time, u can build the coop of your/thier dreams. We all do the chicken before the coop thing, thats why i collect big dog crates, portable dog playpens, kennels, runs, anything i can throw together in case i am somewhere and " blackout" and come home with more critters on a whim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by