Minimum % protein for coturnix quail chicks?

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
Have some coturnix due to hatch soon but after searching high and low the only feed I've been able to find tops out at 19-20%. Most places I've seen recommend 23-25% for chicks to help them grow correctly. Will they be alright on this lower protein percentage? If not is there a way to supplement a higher protein safely (ie mealworms maybe?)

It seems like high-protein feeds are common in USA but here in UK I have found (chicken) chick crumbs with 16% protein and you are hard to find even a 17% protein layer feed. Most grower feed is only 14-15%. Though I know most recommend more, so not sure what is going on here. Different practices?

I found a 'game feed' at 27% protein but only sells in a 50lbs bag. If I feed this to the chicks can I mix it with less protein ingredients later when they are fully grown? Since I don't think a dozen of them will go through that much from 0-4 weeks lol

Yep first time. I have chickens and ducks but it's rapidly turning into a 'multi-flock'. 23 eggs in the incubator just now so I wonder the results...

Good luck nevwr expected this many to hatch lol x

Attachments

• 20200825_125132.jpg
    20200825_125132.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 30
Have some coturnix due to hatch soon but after searching high and low the only feed I've been able to find tops out at 19-20%. Most places I've seen recommend 23-25% for chicks to help them grow correctly. Will they be alright on this lower protein percentage? If not is there a way to supplement a higher protein safely (ie mealworms maybe?)

It seems like high-protein feeds are common in USA but here in UK I have found (chicken) chick crumbs with 16% protein and you are hard to find even a 17% protein layer feed. Most grower feed is only 14-15%. Though I know most recommend more, so not sure what is going on here. Different practices?
According to Chris on the Slightly Rednecked YouTube channel you can increase the protein by adding dry cat food to your feed. You might want to check out his channel.

I'm in New Zealand and the highest protein feed I can get is 20%. I've raised many happy, healthy quail chicks on that feed.

Back
Top Bottom