Mink Question

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
those that have mink and know it, how far is the nearest water source(lake, pond, River)?

From what I understand they tend to stick by a water source, but will travel. I've read and heard different things about how far they travel--generally I'm hearing 1/4-1/2 mile.

Just trying to get an idea of what the norm is, of course that won't always be the case, but I still want to know.

The one person that I know that had a mink attack (irl) has a pond on their property. They had the chickens for 3 years with no issues before the attack. They also had chicken wire around their run. :(
I guess you might never have issues until the opportunity strikes the predator. My thinking is to give your birds the best life possible while they are with you. Try not to worry so much. I know it's hard, but I had to resign myself to that way of thinking or else I would worry so much that I wouldn't enjoy my birds.

The one person that I know that had a mink attack (irl) has a pond on their property. They had the chickens for 3 years with no issues before the attack. They also had chicken wire around their run. :(
I guess you might never have issues until the opportunity strikes the predator. My thinking is to give your birds the best life possible while they are with you. Try not to worry so much. I know it's hard, but I had to resign myself to that way of thinking or else I would worry so much that I wouldn't enjoy my birds.

Are you mentally visualizing me measuring how far the nearest pond is? Because I am visualizing it...lol

I just want to make sure that my area is secure for any predator, but I do like to know what's out there on a normal day to day basis.

Are you mentally visualizing me measuring how far the nearest pond is? Because I am visualizing it...lol

I just want to make sure that my area is secure for any predator, but I do like to know what's out there on a normal day to day basis.
Yes, because I have done such calculations as well. :D

Multiple game cameras will tell/show you what is out and about your place ... :)

I got a game camera and I got a whole first alert security camera system. have not gotten either up because there is not enough time in the day to get everything done. It will eventually get done, but until then I diligently do what I can to make sure everyone safe

those that have mink and know it, how far is the nearest water source(lake, pond, River)?

From what I understand they tend to stick by a water source, but will travel. I've read and heard different things about how far they travel--generally I'm hearing 1/4-1/2 mile.

Just trying to get an idea of what the norm is, of course that won't always be the case, but I still want to know.
We live a few hundred feet from a large river. Its tidal here as we are close to the ocean. Large forested area as well. Prime mink territory. I've had chickens three years and just had our first problem with mink.

I have trapped mink several hundred yards from a water source. Mink have a pretty large home range, and they are constantly patrolling it. younger mink are always looking for new territory to move into as well. So just because someone doesn't have a mink now, doesn't mean they wont later.

Back
Top Bottom