Mink !!!!!!

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Had a very close encounter with a mink 5 days ago.

Had a friend over, was showing him the chickens. WHile at the coop, my ducks came off the pond , waddled over to say hi. It was about 4pm at this point. My friend was about 5 ft from me and the ducks were beside him. When all of a sudden this brown blur came running from under the coop and tried to grab a female duck. Which I thought it had as one disappeared from sight. I rushed to the side of the coop, and the female duck was standing there all stunned.

Me and my friend were shocked. at that time didn't realize what it was. This mink came within arm distance of my friend !!. A couple of minutes later, we see it peering at us from the corner of under my coop. I quickly lock up my ducks. Then the mind decides to make a run for it, heads towards my duck run and into the pond. At this point my ducks are throwing themselves at the fence towards the mink. I think they wanted a piece of it as well. The mink swam across the pond and ogled us all from the other side.
It then rushed back towards us. at this point I'm with shovel in hand and yelling, haha. It ran into a culvert beside the pond which lucky for us, my hubby had blocked the other end this summer, the mink had no way out. So, we barricaded it in the culvert. Now what??
so, I ran next door, knocked on the neighbors door. He answers, my words.......... "do you have a gun? I need you to kill something"

He's looking at me all strange, haha. I tell him the mink story, he gathers up his weapon and over he comes.

He managed to destroy the mink quickly and effectively inside the culvert. I am glad of that. I really didn't want to see it die with my own eyes, at least this way I know that danger is gone, and I didn't have to see it.

I am a huge animal lover, hate to have to destroy anything, but, this little brat crossed the line. and he had to go. I am lucky he didn't get my duck and I'm even luckier that he hadn't got a chicken, I think he had just moved in. As where he was hiding, is my chickens favorite hang out place when I let them free range.

They are fast little creatures, and I know how destructive they can be when they get in with chickens, so it was for the best.

It's sad that you had to kill it. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Imp- I think your stunned duck needs a fur coat. It'll help her get over the shock.
roll.png

Sorry, but the danger is not gone.
hide.gif
If you have one mink, there will be more. Mink are continually on the move, and another will take over the newly vacated terrritory. Get live traps, bait and set them 24/7. Although the "immediate" danger is gone, a new one will present itself. Yes they are absolutely brazen when in attack mode.

Mink aren't really a problem in my area. I am amazed and shocked at how brazen that attack was! I guess you learn something new from this site everyday. Thanks for sharing your experience; I'm glad you were able to take care of the problem before you lost any birds.

Quote:
thankyou , me too. I've had chickens over a year now. this was the first run in with a mink. I didn't think they'd be that brave either with two of us standing there. I think he must have been a young male, not as experienced to know better. I'd only ever seen one before in my life. so was an experience for sure.

They're pretty brave here Emjay. I almost stepped on a couple of them several times while growing up. Just last month had one run down beside me at the river, jump in and swim across. If fixated on food they will certainly ignore you.
And yes, if you have one, you will have more at some point. They are territorial.

Back
Top Bottom