Minor beak injury

Nerdc0reRizing

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
My 10 week old buff orp, Suri, who is of course my favorite, got a small crack in her beak. It doesn't seem to be discolored and she's still eating and drinking I just wanted to make sure and see if there was anything I need to do to help it heal or if there's anything to watch for. I read in some posts that it heals on its own and others that it won't so was hoping for clarification. It's about midway up, I have pictures but they aren't the best as she kept moving around on me! :p
There was dried blood when I found it but not a lot just a speck and it doesn't seem like the other girls are paying it any mind. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20170614_063302.jpg
    20170614_063302.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20170613-205607.png
    Screenshot_20170613-205607.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
That should grow out, may take some time. Here is an article on repairing beaks: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html
I would lean towards doing nothing and just keeping an eye on this, unless it is looser than it looks in the picture and you think it might come off. Then I would maybe try to reinforce it until it has time to grow out some.

That should grow out, may take some time. Here is an article on repairing beaks: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/repairing-chickens-broken-beak.html
I would lean towards doing nothing and just keeping an eye on this, unless it is looser than it looks in the picture and you think it might come off. Then I would maybe try to reinforce it until it has time to grow out some.

Thank you! I think it's good, doesn't look to be broken, hanging or even freyed. More of just a small cut. I really just wanted reassurance from someone more experienced than myself. Thank you so much for your insight and response. I'll keep an eye on her.

20170618_090444.jpg
Hey guys,
It's been looking fine but today I went out and noticed it looks.. Shrunk? The top beak isn't folding over the bottom like the other chickens. She's still eating and drinking normal and it's not hugely discolored. I have a picture, please tell me if this is normal or not. Thanks!

Looks like the cracked/broken piece came off. It's a small break so should grow back in time. Just watch her to make sure she is taking enough food and water without difficulty. Raising feeders and waterers up to shoulder height makes it easier for them to scoop with the lower beak. If she has trouble eating you can mix feed with water to make a mash, which is easier to pick up. I'd just monitor weight to make sure she is getting enough. It will be harder for her to peck things off the ground until it grows out.

Almost a week later and I think beak is looking a little better. She's loving the mash suggestion but I think she's getting food ok anyway... Just not complaining about a little special treatment.
IMG_9870.jpg

Looks like the cracked/broken piece came off. It's a small break so should grow back in time. Just watch her to make sure she is taking enough food and water without difficulty. Raising feeders and waterers up to shoulder height makes it easier for them to scoop with the lower beak. If she has trouble eating you can mix feed with water to make a mash, which is easier to pick up. I'd just monitor weight to make sure she is getting enough. It will be harder for her to peck things off the ground until it grows out.

Hi, you were so helpful last time, would you be able to help with my new thread? Same bird hurt her beak again, worse this time :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-beak-injury-after-raccoon-tried-to-break-in.1183130/

Back
Top Bottom