Minor but still concerned about "Chicken Bedtime" tonight

PaintedGemsRanch

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Hamilton, Georgia
Long story short our coop isnt done yet so the chickens have been staying in a dog crates til this weekend! I came home late tonight and they were already in the crate sleeping. Only they were all in the smaller one. Do I need to split them up? They all look comfy. Should I just make sure im up at sunrise to let them out? Also, the crate is on the ground instead of up on my porch? Will being on the ground hurt tonight? Its lined with hay and they are in my fenced in backyard with electric wire and the crate door is closed. No worry about predetors! Thanks in advance for any advice! Also if this post if in the wrong place please move it! I didnt know where else to put it!!

Just my 2 cents, but it looks like you have 8 in there? If so, I wouldn't fret too much tonight-mine all insist on jamming on the top rung of the perch...

If predators are not a concern, I would just make sure to let them out early in the morning.

Good luck with your coop!

Yes, all 8 are in a crate that would fit a 30-40lbs dog comfortably. (They fit pretty snugly) Thanks for the quick response! Do you think they will be warm enough leaving it on the ground will be fine or should I bring it up to the porch?

I tend to run to the paranoid-so I would probably move it to the porch. I fret over mine like some kind of maniac though!

Thanks!! I really appreciate it! I think ill just leave them rest for tonight and not get them back up. I checked the weather and its not going to rain or drop below 68 degrees tonight. The are up against the porch and the house in the corner so no wind. Its 1130 and its still 71degrees! Please dont think I asked for advice and ignoring everyones warning but I think they will be plenty warm at 68degrees!
hide.gif
Yall are lifesavers!
bow.gif

If they get cold or scared, they can 'pile up' and crush each other. This is usually a problem in younger birds. I had this happen to 3 mo olds- 8 chickens in a dog crate, one on the bottom, in the back got squashed by the others in the night. Very upsetting to discover that. It was not very cold, so I think something scared them and they all moved to the same spot, and the unfortunate one on at the back got smothered. After that experience, I separate them into smaller groups (when they are in crates), even if they choose all to be in the same one.... I use crates for sleeping when introducing new young birds to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom