Minorca help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GopherBoyFarms, Oct 7, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Our girls are 7 months old on the 16th.
    We knew nothing when we got the chickens, but have figured out what most of them are. We have one black minorca that is the sweetest thing ever. My son is in 4H and wants to show her. I am wondering will they DQ her if her comb isnt flopped? And will it flop maybe when she is a little older? What are some of the breed standards for Minorcas?

Here are some pics of Miss Priss
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

her she is younger
    [​IMG]

thanks
    ~Tiff~

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

I'll PM! LOL!

White feather in the plumage is one. Side sprig on a comb is another, along with feathers on the feet.

Pullets of that age rarely EVER have the flop in their comb so I would not worry in the least bit on that.

White in the face is undesirable, but it happens as the bird ages. Too much white and it's a DQ. (I'm talking could be mistaken for a poor WFB Spanish.)

Dark eyes are a plus, but many come with the color that Miss Priss exhibits. It's just something that happens.

3. GopherBoyFarms

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    cool, that helps some... I dont know what a side sprig on the comb means?

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Side sprig: a well-defined point or projection growing from the side of a single comb; a disqualification in all single combed breeds.

I tried to find a photo, but couldn't find one using google.

Here's a website that has more definitions..but it's hard to read because of the background they've chosen.
    http://groups.msn.com/CHICKENCHRONICLES/poultrytermsrelatingtofowlstw.msnw

5. GopherBoyFarms

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    great, thank you...I think she will be just fine for my young boy to show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by