Minorca thread!

Pics
Jahdan and I are now working on a Buff Minorca project from the University of Arkansas. Not sure how many we have. We did have 2 trios of nice juveniles, but yesterday brought home some more from the Heritage Poultry Workshop at P. Allen Smith's. Here are some photos from the University of Arkansas's heritage poultry research barn. Jahdan and I toured the barn in December 2013. Our Buff Minorcas hatched from this flocks eggs.

Interesting Minorca Lit

Minorcas; all varieties. .
Northup, George H. [from old catalog]
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t5p84s01n;view=1up;seq=5
---------------------
Minorca fowls.
By: Biggs, Fred.
Published: (1898)
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924081087698;view=1up;seq=9
-------------------
The Minorca fowl.
By: Harrison, T. H.
Published: (1893)
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uma.ark:/13960/t7pn9qj8m;view=1up;seq=5
-----------------------
Biblio only, not readable online that I can find
The modern Minorca fowl; its breeding, management, and preparation for exhibition, with notes of interest to fanciers of all Mediterranean breeds.
By: Tootill, Fred.
Published: (1925)
Looks like John Palmer down in New Zealand has republished this. His website is down
but here's his contact info he has published on the Net:
Country Books John & Miriam Palmer , Christchurch , New Zealand email; [email protected]
---------------
Minorcas of every comb and color.
by Northup, George H.
Published 1907
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uma.ark:/13960/t04x5x61k;view=1up;seq=7
--------------------
Farmers' Bulletin, Issues 2051-2075 , (1952 )
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z3...Q&ved=0CEEQuwUwAA#v=onepage&q=Minorca&f=false

Best Regards,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Thanks for the Minorca links to old material.I have these and have used them and much more for my book Spanish Breeds of Poultry Ancestry. I am collecting additional information and if I can get enough will update the book again.I could use any good articles,pictures ,breeder catalogs,Minorca club yearbooks,club newsletters,etc. Many of the old Poultry Press issues had great pictures many by Schilling during the 30's,40's,50's and 60's. Would like to learn when Geo.Northup died. He did another edition of Minorcas of Every Comb and Color printed by Inland Poultry Journal about 1922/3 as I have old ads stating the contents with much on Buff Minorcas. Would love to see a copy of this edition. I understand Mr.Webster did a book about 1904 called ALLAbout Black Minorcas..
I am looking for the Oct 1915 complete issue of THE POULTRY ITEM magazine (,Minorca issue). The American Black Minorca club,International Black Minorca club,White Minorca club,Buff Minorca club all issued many yearbooks,also hundreds of Minorca breeders issued catalogs,I wish I could find some more of these,even scanned copies.PM me if you have some of these.Thanks Dan Honour

Hey y'all,
I've raised chickens for about 5 years but this is my first year with Buff Minorcas. I bought them as day old chicks (I'm sure they were actually about a week old) and placed them under a broody Buff Orpington along with some other polish chicks. I have a total of 12 chicks around this age and 2 adult hens both brown egg layers and both very healthy.

Yesterday I got home late and when I checked the nesting box I found a white egg. I hadn't pulled the eggs from the day before, so I can't be sure what happened, but I found 3 brown and 1 white egg.

I guess my questions are: 1.) is it possible that one of my Minorcas is laying at 12 weeks? or if not, 2.) is it possible that on of my brown egg layers made an otherwise totally normal albino egg?

Both scenarios seem unlikely, so I'll listen to any answers you throw out there.

Thanks, y'all!
AC

Hey y'all,
I've raised chickens for about 5 years but this is my first year with Buff Minorcas. I bought them as day old chicks (I'm sure they were actually about a week old) and placed them under a broody Buff Orpington along with some other polish chicks. I have a total of 12 chicks around this age and 2 adult hens both brown egg layers and both very healthy.

Yesterday I got home late and when I checked the nesting box I found a white egg. I hadn't pulled the eggs from the day before, so I can't be sure what happened, but I found 3 brown and 1 white egg.

I guess my questions are: 1.) is it possible that one of my Minorcas is laying at 12 weeks? or if not, 2.) is it possible that on of my brown egg layers made an otherwise totally normal albino egg?

Both scenarios seem unlikely, so I'll listen to any answers you throw out there.

Thanks, y'all!
AC
I have had one of my brown egglayers lay a few "white" eggs recently but not all the time. It did not look like a white egglayer's egg though...it had a tiny amount of tint to it.

12 weeks is too early IMO but then stranger things have happened in the world. I am no expert.

I have been receiving calls from people in Florida, Georgia, and Texas in regard to my White Minorca, so I would gather there are limited flocks in that region. I have grown from a handful of birds in 2013 (from Sand Hill Preservation Center) to around fifty now. My white hens lay the best, and are most consistent. They also rebounded the fastest after this past winter (with such frigid temperatures). My black hens are also doing well, but do not lay as large of an egg. This is a great breed, with fantastic height, weight, fertility, temperament, and egg laying ability.

Figured I'd post again, we got a trio of black minorcas from a breeder on the coast. Not show winners but they are a start. One of the hens is bigger than any of our other birds. I'd share a picture but they are molting now. A question about egg size- I always thought they had huge eggs, out of the hens we got, their eggs are smaller than our sumatras.

Back
Top Bottom