Minorca thread!

The above pictures are of (2) 3 year old hens and my 3 year old rooster. Please keep in mind that they are about 60% through molt, so still look a bit ragged. The rooster weighs in at a bit over 9#, and the hens 7.5+ pounds. I appreciate the combs of these girls as they almost completely cover the eye on the one side. As they are in molt, the combs are a bit smaller and not as red as per usual. The rooster had a bit of frostbite to his comb in the Winter of 2013. Nice temperament and extra large eggs. My roosters are family friendly, of which I appreciate as well. His son is a bit larger than this rooster and has a better frame. It is hard to get a real good picture of any of these chickens as they don't "pose" well for the camera. I am finding that they are great farm fowl. They are rugged and although people concerned over exhibition only, would find fault, I find them to be reasonable as a starting point for my needs. These three birds are directly from Sand Hill in 2013. I have culled quite heavily from the first birds I received from them.

Last edited:
Haven't been here a while so I thought I would give you all an update on our Minorcas we are raising currently.
For the past few years we have been raising SC and RC Black Minorcas. Last year I added Blue Minorcas to the fold and am raising both SC and RC.
Lastly, we obtained some of the finest White Minorcas around last year and have been working on the elusive Rosecomb White Minorca. Progress is being made with them and we are still raising the SC White Minorca.
We are in the process of starting up hatching as we speak and should have a good amount of birds to select from for next years round of Minorca breeding.

Do you guys think this could be a Minorca? I asked at the "what breed is this" thread, but I wanted answers as well from people who had them. Thanks.

I have three young Minorcas. They are my favorite chickens even though they are so mischievous! We cant leave the front door open because they sneak into the house to lay on the dog beds. Can't leave my van doors open because I almost took off with them one day. It's weird to have to explain to your proffesor that you were late because one of your Minorcas pooped in your car!

Today I came home to my rooster freaking out and discovered that one of my girls was missing. Turns out she was at the neighbors house. Now, I know these ladies can fly, we've got fencing around our property of all heights. I spent 45 minutes shaking the scratch can trying to get her back and dug a hole underneath the fence to coerce her back in. Only for her to come out from a different hole I didnt know about a foot away right infront of me.

These are the funniest chickens we have owned and we have decided we love them so much that we want more in the future.

Last edited:
This is my question mark bird. Almost 6 months old no crows, don't think there are eggs... got from a hardwRe store and thought it was a astrolorp... longish neck feathers but not sure...

On hens are their comb and wattles much bigger than other birds?

My Minorca hens' wattles and combs are a lot bigger than my other hens breeds!
This is my question mark bird. Almost 6 months old no crows, don't think there are eggs... got from a hardwRe store and thought it was a astrolorp... longish neck feathers but not sure...

My Minorcas are about the same age, 6 months, and yours looks like mine. I think it's a pullet. I'm not an expert though!
Do your birds free range? Despite having a fence around our property, the Minorcas always fly out. My neighbor found a Minorca egg next to the road!
I also suspected they were laying out in the woods so I bought a fake egg to put in the nesting boxes. It's working so far to encourage them to lay in the coop. I only find two white eggs in the coop instead of three though. So one pullet isn't laying yet or she does not lay in the coop. This thread doesn't get much action, but hopefully someone with more experience with Minorcas pops in!

Back
Top Bottom