Minorca thread!

Pics
E4730FE7-0B3B-4FB6-95CB-3DAC094C2584-1085-0000016161298C59.jpg

I wanted to share this black Minorca I saw today at the PA farm show. This is the first correct size example I've ever seen. I filled a double cage!! Just awesome!

Yes it is sad that Minorcas are often so small.If they are correct they are a handful,because male weighing 9 pounds of long bodies and big frames are huge. When tall,long and wide they will fill coops,males often needing double coops.Big birds will have long main tails and wing feathers and shanks as big as your thumb.Females will often have spurs.Pictured here is a young cockerel from this past year.He is only 5 months old and already close to 7 pounds..Dan Honour

Just going to go out on a limb here and say that Minorca Bantams probably dont exist, unless there is some reclusive breeder of them somewhere in the US. If I were to guess they would have to be recreated with a combination of Rosecomb, SC/RC Leghorn and Andalusian to do so.
Dan, have you ever seen any? I cannot say that I ever have.
I love that young cockerel too, nice size.
John

The bantams are close to extinction if not there. I know David Anderson (a judge from CA) is working on Buff Bantams, but he is the only one I know that is working on bantam minorca.

Dan, nice Minorca Cockerel. A great representation of the breed. How is egg production. We are starting a project that will focus on egg size and production. My personal goal is to get the Minorca back to the egg production bird they were originally designed as.

How is the lavender project going?

Dave's bantam buffs are not bad. They looked like they were new, but you could tell they were Minorca. Maybe he will show them at the end of the month in Stockton, Ca at the ABA national.

What did Dave use to make the Buff Bantams? Egg production is good,but will be selecting the big eggs to incubate. I have two Lavender pullets,size is good,still could use better heads. I saw pictures of John Wunderlick's Black Minorca bantams in the 1940's.,but I have not seen any at shows.In breeding for egg production,watch out for small birds and small eggs.I am still looking for old pictures or articles on Minorcas,so if anyone has some,let me know. Dan.

Thought I might post a few pics of my SC whites. I had a rogue hen that was feather picking so please excuse the lack of tails in some of the males. I finally caught her in the act recently but the tails haven't filled in yet. Id appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer. It is very hard trying to improve these birds in a vacuum!

Click the photos below for a larger size:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom