Minorca thread!

Pics
The blue rooster has too light colored eyes though. The guy had other roosters that were larger than this one but to me their tails were too high as compared to him so that is why I got him. I should have gotten all of his splash hens. Yes I want some Minorcas. AR told me to contact him in a few weeks and see what he has but if you have some you know of then let me. I would even take chicks in those. I think I want black though.

I'm getting my Buff Minorca's in in just a few weeks! I've been planning on using them as my backyard flock, the girls for egg production and the culling the extra boys for meat birds. I live in a pretty hot climate and am betting on the Minorca's ability to take the heat. Plus I plan on letting them forage quite a bit for food. Are they as flighty as some say? I'm buying them from Sand Hill if that helps. Can't wait to post some pics of the new additions!

Hatchery minorcas are usually flighty but the much heavier show strain minorcas are not flighty in my opinion. I've heard that Sandhills buffs are somewhere inbetween

I'm getting my Buff Minorca's in in just a few weeks! I've been planning on using them as my backyard flock, the girls for egg production and the culling the extra boys for meat birds. I live in a pretty hot climate and am betting on the Minorca's ability to take the heat. Plus I plan on letting them forage quite a bit for food. Are they as flighty as some say? I'm buying them from Sand Hill if that helps. Can't wait to post some pics of the new additions!

i have buff catalanas and buff minorcas from sandhill - great birds - the girls can be shy - but they come for treats and feeding, great at foraging - the roos especially are very sweet, and i didn't even spend much time with them. pretty big early on, the roos....so it is a good dual purpose.

Chickensaresweet I have to post the exact same thing!

Chicksandweeds, those are some great looking birds! For this first batch I've got some assorted orpingtons coming to raise up and butcher, hopefully keeping about 6 hens and one nice roo for a layer flock. Have you ever dressed out any of your buffs from Sandhill? And what's been your experience with their brooding? I know they're not the most broody of birds, so I may have to eventually get one of another breed for that. But I'd really rather keep a one type of bird flock. Thanks for the pictures! How are the catalanas? I thought about getting them as well, but just kept reading about how the Minorca's are heavier and I'd like to use them as a dual purpose chicken.

Paul

Chickensaresweet I have to post the exact same thing!

Chicksandweeds, those are some great looking birds! For this first batch I've got some assorted orpingtons coming to raise up and butcher, hopefully keeping about 6 hens and one nice roo for a layer flock. Have you ever dressed out any of your buffs from Sandhill? And what's been your experience with their brooding? I know they're not the most broody of birds, so I may have to eventually get one of another breed for that. But I'd really rather keep a one type of bird flock. Thanks for the pictures! How are the catalanas? I thought about getting them as well, but just kept reading about how the Minorca's are heavier and I'd like to use them as a dual purpose chicken.

Paul

i don't kill or eat my birds - someone else does. they were 4-5 1/2 months - good weight, lean, and they really liked them (the taste) ....not like the typical meat birds but slightly gamey - that was the report. since i have to get rid of almost every rooster (neighbors) i will not be breeding and have no experience with that ...the pullets are only 6 months old and so far non has been broody ....would not expect that though. i like the catalanas - and for the most part, i could not tell which were bigger, first i thought 2 of the catalanas were the biggest the fastest...but at 6 months ...i think the minorca roos might be bigger. i like the look of the catalanas better.

Okay thanks. I put my order in last fall for the White Minorca, so I hope to receive some this spring. I have only just taken an active interest (specifically) in this breed of chicken after reading Kelly Klober's book, Talking Chicken.

Back
Top Bottom