Minorca thread!

Pics
I did communicate with Sand Hill via email. They seemed polite and the response was timely. They mentioned some weather issues that had gotten them behind but they were catching up. Hopefully mine will be coming in not too far behind the original day.

Mine came a bit later than originally anticipated. I put my order in last October, so the initial hope was for delivery from the March hatch. I have a second shipment of assorted Minorca that are projected for May 21st.
The chicks are very healthy. They sent me 5 black, 6 buff, 5 white, in addition to my white leghorns.

That is very unfortunate. What type of predators do you have in your part of the country? I recently had a weasel attack a group of 4 month old chicks. He was greedy and came back for more, which led to his demise, as he was lured in to a live trap.

My only concern is that I am currently unable to differentiate the White Minorca from the White Leghorn chicks. I imagine there will be notable differences as they age. The second group ordered is entirely Minorca, so I am glad about that.

My only concern is that I am currently unable to differentiate the White Minorca from the White Leghorn chicks. I imagine there will be notable differences as they age. The second group ordered is entirely Minorca, so I am glad about that.

White leghorns should have yellow legs and white minorcas should have pinkish white legs

The White Minorcas may not clearly show the pink leg color until 2 or three months old,and the same can be said of White Leghorns,the yellow leg may be pale and can look pink/white.I would give them plenty of time.Strains vary and yes sometimes you can tell earlier than this,but to be sure it is best to wait.

Thanks for the specifics on leg color. I wasn't expecting to be able to tell them apart for awhile. I have never worked with White Minorca before, so I am not even sure how they look as compared to the White Leghorn. I imagine, as adults, they are larger. The Sandhill White Leghorns are not of a commercial type, but rather an exhibition type. I am intrigued to see these leghorns as compared to the Pearl White I have had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom