Minorca thread!

Pics
2009 Hatch Buff Male

15970_buffminorca2009ckl.jpg
How do you tell this from a Buff Leghorn?
I love the Minorca's as I love WLH's and love that they are similar to WLH's...but black
big_smile.png
!!

Can you get white Minorca's??

I bred Buff Minorcas for over 20 years ,back in the 1970's and 1980's.Mine were originally from Marcus Daividson. I am sure I have some pictures around of them.I sold chicks and hatching eggs too. Minorcas and Leghorns are two different breeds,size,headpoints,type and leg color are different.I am in touch with Tom Roebuck and his breeding project. Dan Honour

OK I have my Buff Minorcas as of today, mixed in with some Buff Orps and Blue Andalusians (and one free chick).

Great! I am sure they will do well. Any idea what the free chick may be? For years I received a cockerel of some sort, but with my recent order of Buff Minorca I was lucky and received a Silver Leghorn pullet

Nice, I am curious to see how they will grow out.
Thanks! :)

Quote: Oooh a Silver Leghorn! How lovely!

They gave me 6 Blue chicks (5 are Blue Andalusians), and all the other ones are the generic "buff-looking chicks" which I didn't even count as I put them in the hutch yesterday (so I don't really know what I have here yet). We had ordered a couple of Buff Orp cockerels to replace our current one who is now attacking me and one of my kids, in the hopes that at least one of them would work out for us.

It is difficult for me to look at a day old chick and tell what I have. I have raised lots of chicks but I am still not good at it until the feathers come in. So I am not even sure how to tell the 2 BOs from our 10 Buff Minorcas.

I am hoping that our Blue Andalusian and Buff Minorca cocks will be respectful of us. Our Fayoumi cockerels are working out fine but I don't want any cross breeds. Breeders have worked so long and hard on these birds that I want to propagate that, even if I only have a few of each kind. (Thank you breeders!)

The past few years we have been trying out many breeds to see which ones are the best for us. Keeping a breed where I cannot hang onto the cockerels because of aggression has no appeal to me. One example is a Hinkjc's Orpington cock we had once. He was a cut above, entirely, with generations of no aggression tolerated in their lines. Amazing work. I keep kicking myself for getting rid of him. Breeding for nonaggression makes a huge difference I have found, so no cocks around here will be allowed to breed if aggressive.

Having a small flock, I smile when I realize how I must sound to actual breeders, but it is so much fun, even with just a flock of 30 or so! Thanks for listening. What a great hobby we have, one that can last a lifetime and enrich our lives so well.

Thanks! :)

Oooh a Silver Leghorn! How lovely!

They gave me 6 Blue chicks (5 are Blue Andalusians), and all the other ones are the generic "buff-looking chicks" which I didn't even count as I put them in the hutch yesterday (so I don't really know what I have here yet). We had ordered a couple of Buff Orp cockerels to replace our current one who is now attacking me and one of my kids, in the hopes that at least one of them would work out for us.

It is difficult for me to look at a day old chick and tell what I have. I have raised lots of chicks but I am still not good at it until the feathers come in. So I am not even sure how to tell the 2 BOs from our 10 Buff Minorcas.

I am hoping that our Blue Andalusian and Buff Minorca cocks will be respectful of us. Our Fayoumi cockerels are working out fine but I don't want any cross breeds. Breeders have worked so long and hard on these birds that I want to propagate that, even if I only have a few of each kind. (Thank you breeders!)

The past few years we have been trying out many breeds to see which ones are the best for us. Keeping a breed where I cannot hang onto the cockerels because of aggression has no appeal to me. One example is a Hinkjc's Orpington cock we had once. He was a cut above, entirely, with generations of no aggression tolerated in their lines. Amazing work. I keep kicking myself for getting rid of him. Breeding for nonaggression makes a huge difference I have found, so no cocks around here will be allowed to breed if aggressive.

Having a small flock, I smile when I realize how I must sound to actual breeders, but it is so much fun, even with just a flock of 30 or so! Thanks for listening. What a great hobby we have, one that can last a lifetime and enrich our lives so well.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I too am always in search of a Rooster that will behave moderately well on our farm. Unfortunately, some of the laid back boys may not be the best for breeding as thay lack aggression there too. We currently have a Silver Grey Dorking Rooster that will attack anything that comes in sight of his hens. That is fine, but I have three small children and of course their safety is first. I am hoping the White Minorca Rooster I raise will be a little less aggressive.

I think aggressive males that are man fighters is a trait most people do not want..There are cases where you might have to use such a male for breeding,but if you do not need to,then do not for it seems to be hereditary to a degree. You should get females that are alright and maybe a few sons. Just keep picking the better tempered males each generation. Some lines are worse than others.Sometimes a good mannered cockerel will turn into a mean older male.Sometimes being with females or removing from females will affect a males behavior toward the owner,This can often be seen with once tame cockerels after being separated after the breeding season. Sometimes you get a very mean male with the females that is okay with the owner.Bad dipositions can also be extremely wild birds. Select against bad traits whenever you can.

All my roosters are not aggressive, even when they are a couple of years old. I also never breed with aggressive roosters.

Can anyone help me on, what breeds make up a Minorca?
I would not say there are any breeds that "make up" a Minorca. They are fairly distinct breed that can trace their origin to Spain and what contributed to their creation there would be a question better answered by Dan haha.
Compared to other breeds like Wyandottes, Rocks, Sussex, Orpingtons etc, most of the Mediterranean class breeds are much more stand alone with little influences of outside breeds upon their make up.

Back
Top Bottom