Minorca thread!

Pics
In bantams it is good for early maturity slows or stops growth.In large Minorcas they may start laying by 5-6 mos. but they continue to add muscle and weight for another 6 months or more. Egg size gradually gets bigger into the second season.

You got rid of the roosters? Sad, would have been amazing to have seen a Buff Minorca rooster. Sadly in Europe they don´t exist any more.

Ya. Sorry but I don't have a lot of room for them. I almost picked one and kept just him, but I don't really know what to look for because I'm new to raising chickens. Maybe in a year or two I'll want to expand and I'll get some more chicks and then I'll keep some roosters. :)

Last edited:
Weekly chicken update. I'm a bit unhappy they are showing signs that that aren't within the breed. One has black dots on her tail, and one has yellow legs. I didn't intend to show them or anything, but I'm a bit unhappy with Murry McMurry on the whole deal. :(

My McMurray Minorcas are nice...all 8 of them have white legs and no smut in the feathers...just buff (but I haven't looked extremely closely...edited to add I am watching your video now and that amount that you showed with the camera I may not have noticed in mine...will look tomorrow at mine).

Once I got a Buff Orpington (don't remember which hatchery) with yellow legs (Buff Rock most likely). I think sometimes the genetics just pop out a certain way...not sure- or maybe it was a Buff Rock after all.

Your chickens are beauties...I would be proud of them Coveny!!!!

love.gif

Last edited:
Buff breeds will occasionally have black feathers or specks show up in their plumage at times. Dan is the Buff expert on this though.

My Buffs from Sandhill have some black feathers in their tails. I haven't found this with my McMurray stock. I think the black feathers will be lost with their first molt though.

I received a large, Buff chick (supposedly a Buff Minorca) from Sandhill that has large and wide yellow legs/feet. It also has a rose comb...if this is really from the breeding pen we can only imagine how the genetics came through?

Coveny, there may have been an infusion of Buff Leghorn blood in to the breeding flock at some point...that may account for the yellow legs. It is quite noticeable. Interesting....

Back
Top Bottom