Minorca thread!

Pics
I liked seeing so many Minorcas on display in the English video.I think the earlobe size in the US has shrunk over the decades and is really too small for such a big bird.We really could use a shot of the English bloodlines,an old timer once told me you have to use extremes in the breeding program if you want to correct a fault,otherwise the median will not be far enough in the direction you wish to go. I feel as though the earlobe is one of the first things you see and the contrast is what is striking and appealing in appearance. I also like the width of earlobe as it gives some shape and surface area,the narrow thin earlobe hangs loosely and is shapeless. Perhaps some of the English birds are too big in comb size and even some of the earlobes are plenty big enough,but our American Minorcas are the opposite extreme in earlobe size (most are too small and lack shape),yet so many of our Minorcas will show white in the faces (especially older birds) that amazes me the big earlobed birds of England do not seem to show any more white in the faces (and perhaps even less) than our small lobed birds here. We could use more male lines in the Minorcas in the US for most of ours appear as female lines today. I like the size,type,tallness length,and big tails of the American Minorca,I also feel the comb and wattles are about the right size and would not want them any bigger,but the white earlobes should be bigger here in the US. It may also be showy enough to attract a few more breeders to the ranks ,for they can be show stoppers and stately,impressive,huge birds of beauty.
Yes, I also like too use extremes. When I want too improve the earlobe size and length to the legs of the buff I would like to use a Minorca bantam that has very long legs (maybe even to long) and very big earlobes.

To me, the contrast of the big white earlobes with the black feathers in combination with a lands type, slender shape is very appealing. And of course the big comb and wattles.

Dubbing would be your best bet at this point,for no one wants to run an animal or bird hospital,medications are expensive and vet bills too (you can dub the comb and wattles too yourself).If the bird has good type ,size,etc. you can use him for breeding after he heals up completely,but as Mike says ,much is genetic. You may want to mate him to small combed females and even upright combed females with a firm base to get the most desired combed offspring.I am not a fan of double mating but some would say he was a pullet breeder.In my opinion even the large combed females are too big in comb size and the largest part of the males will have those huge ,thin,flopping combs.Yes they are very defective and a disqualification for show stock, ,being a hinderance as well.

Hi everyone
smile.png
I remember coming here a few times before because I was rather interested in Minorca's. I have now gone into Leghorns.
Now I know Leghorns are quite different to Minorca's but they are still rather similar in many ways.

I was just wondering if you guys and girls would be able to help me out with a few breeding questions? These questions are not specific to Leghorns, more just breeding in general.

i'm glad just to keep the thread going :) I am waiting to get my minorcas this spring so I don't have any yet. I am raising heritage rir's . what color leghorns did you get?

I have currently got 2 Whites and a rooster with 14 eggs in the bator now.
I am also trying to track down some Blue Leghorns so that I can create my own white and blue splash perhaps.

Last edited:
Dubbing would be your best bet at this point,for no one wants to run an animal or bird hospital,medications are expensive and vet bills too (you can dub the comb and wattles too yourself).If the bird has good type ,size,etc. you can use him for breeding after he heals up completely,but as Mike says ,much is genetic. You may want to mate him to small combed females and even upright combed females with a firm base to get the most desired combed offspring.I am not a fan of double mating but some would say he was a pullet breeder.In my opinion even the large combed females are too big in comb size and the largest part of the males will have those huge ,thin,flopping combs.Yes they are very defective and a disqualification for show stock, ,being a hinderance as well.
Hi and thanks so much for your reply!
In that case, may I ask 3 more things:

1) does his comb seem to you inflamed/too large at the moment to dub, or is this much meat/thickness the normal thing for a Minorca? His comb seems to me very thick and heavy.

2) if we have him dubbed, should we do the wattles too? They do get in the way when he eats, but then again it's the breed thing? Or too much is too much? So far he doesn't have anything wrong with them.

3) if we have the comb dubbed, it must go all of it, to the base, or a piece would be left?

Sorry if these are dumb question, first time we are having the Minorca breed and first time dealing with dubbing (it will have to be done by our vet though, I think, as I am afraid to do it at home)

Thanks a lot!!!

P.S. We have three females with him, black, and their combs are laying down also, not straight....

Here's one of them, Nera (though we believe she might not be 100% pure but crossed with the Maltese black - the other ones, Carmen and Evita, have larger earlobes):

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom