Minorca thread!

Pics
They appear pure Minorca.However the comb is really large on this female too. No the wattles do not have to be dubbed but they are probably very long as it often goes along with huge combs.However big wattles can freeze if they drag in the water and then freeze in cold temps.,they can swell like golf balls and fill with fluid,needing draining.They can also get injured easy. The comb is often thick ,even if not inflamed. Usually a duller pair of dubbing shears is used to cut and crush the comb,as a sharp razor bladed cutter will cause more bleeding. It should be warm when dubbing and some sterile powder applied to help clot and reduce bleeding,cold seems to aggravate bleeding but bleeding to death is very ,very rare.The bird needs to be confined by himself for a week or more.

I have been planing to add some white layers to my flock and was think brown leghorns but then I saw the black Minorcas. Wow! Beautiful birds. The little that I've read seems that Minorcas are a little calmer than leghorns but lay less. Would anyone care to enlighten me more on this or correct anything?
Thanks

I have been planing to add some white layers to my flock and was think brown leghorns but then I saw the black Minorcas. Wow! Beautiful birds. The little that I've read seems that Minorcas are a little calmer than leghorns but lay less. Would anyone care to enlighten me more on this or correct anything?
Thanks
I have had White Leghorns and now I have Buff Minorcas, which tend to be smaller than the Blacks.

My opinion:
Leghorns: get worried and fret when I come in the coop and they are in there (unless in nest box)
Minorcas: same thing

Leghorns: will fly up tree at first opportunity- will not stay in pen happily all the time
Minorcas: stay in pen pretty well (VERY large pen) and not flying up tree- only have come out of pen when startled and flew over fence

Leghorns: lay pretty much daily (only kept during pullet year)
Minorcas: lay pretty much daily (still in pullet year now) eggs are still pullet sized, but good sized (not bantam sized)

Leghorns: sweet personality from my experience until they started pecking my rooster in a group of 4 as if they were going to try to make a hole in him
Minorcas: no picking or pecking feathers, nothing bad!

I love my Minorca cockerels. They are so non-aggressive and they get along OK together, as they were raised together. They do spar a bit now and then but settle it just fine.

I hope this helps. I have not had the Minorcas very long but those are my impressions.

If you may want both, I'd get both together as chicks so they all get along together and then eliminate a breed if you decide you don't want to keep them.

Last edited:
Hey Guy´s. Sorry for my bad english. I'm from Switzerland
smile.png

Do you already know this website: www.minorka-huhn.de.tl. This is the German Minorca Club.

I think your chicken look like "Kastilianer".

http://www.huehnerwelt.de/2011-muenster/kastilianer-schw-186m.jpg

OK here are pics as promised. These are from just a few minutes ago. We have foggy conditions as usual for winter...mist and dark winter days.
Their forage is just about grazed down but it will spring back in the spring and they will have beautiful green grass again. Our grass stays green all winter and summer (unless you don't water it in the summer). I give them grass clippings quite frequently from the other part of the yard.

My silkies are in with two RIRs who are their best buds. My bantams are separate from the large fowl. Thanks for looking and have a wonderful New Year everyone!

( have three Buff Minorca cockerels and three pullets. The large fowl stay in the plastic shed and the silkies and RIR stay in the small coop with the slanted roof.)

Back
Top Bottom