Miracle hatch?

ChanLillie

Chirping
May 28, 2017
Carl Junction, MO
My Coop
My Coop
wednesday was day 28 for my 30 guineas and 5 peafowl eggs. I had 14 guineas hatch and 1 peafowl then I found 2 guineas that died after pipping. I waited until Thursday and float tested all of the remaining eggs which left one guinea egg and 4 peafowl eggs that floated. So I tossed the "duds" and put the remainders back in the incubator. Last night I figured they were all dead but I didn't have the heart to remove them..

This morning I was checking my other incubator to see if any buttons had hatched and I just decided to peek in at the peafowl and guinea and the guinea and 2 peafowl were rocking! The guinea has even pipped. Thank God I didn't discard them! Today is day 31 and I'm really hoping these last few hatch!

2 short stories (I promise).

When I was a kid I was given an incubator. An old round metal one that the wildlife dept used for hatching pheasant. They had replaced it and a friend of my dads brought it to me. Like any kid with an incubator I rushed around and filled it with any egg I could find set the temp and turned the eggs everyday....for about a week then forgot all about it. A couple of weeks went by and I was in the feed shed where the incubator was and heard a scratching noise. After searching for a bit I realized it was coming from the incubator so I opened the lid. Among a dozen or so bad eggs was one small chick. None should have hatched but one managed to persevere.

This year after our first hatch, my wife went to check on the chicks in the brooder. One of the chicks was laying in the bedding Limp and didn't appear to be breathing. We had hatched about 80 chicks so to loose 1 was not that bad. She took it and put it in a box, texted me at work and told me a chick died and I needed to bury it when I got home. She had been in and out of the brood house all morning and the little chick lay silent in the box most of the morning. On one of her trips into the brood house, she heard chirping coming from the box. When she looked in the box the little chick was standing up chirping and looking around as if to be saying why am I in here and not with my friends.

Oh my god! Happy tears! I love hearing miracle stories!

I had a quail hatch last week that was the only 1 of 4 to survive an incubator malfunction. She is named Elvis and she is going to be our star quail lol.

During this guinea hatch one got stuck in its egg. I realized it had been an upwards of 36 hours since he pipped and I could tell he was struggling. I started slowly peeling away the shell and he had been stink wrapped. So I took a warm, wet, rag and started to dab him.. I safely got him it if the egg but his feet were stuck in the curled up position. After a few hours he started walking and now he's running around with his friends! God is good.

Back
Top Bottom