miracle of chickens

generaldsherman

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Idaho
Hello! I got my first chickens in June of this year. I have wanted chickens ever since we got rid of ours when I was a kid, so I got some for myself after buying my first house.

3 months later, I decided to dogsit for the humane society, and I forgot to check where the dog was when I opened the back door after letting the hens out to graze in the yard. Doggy ran outside and starting after my little flock. My head hen, Hepsiba, protected her friends; she charged head on. I managed to get the dog to let her go before he killed her, and took her in and stitched her up. (Doggy left the next morning to humane society again).

It has been 2 months since that incident. Her lost feathers have all grown back, and you can't even tell anything happened. She is now 5 months old, and I have been waiting on pins and needles for her first egg.

The last few days, I could tell she was close. She has been making nests in the hen house, and squatting all over. I came up to her yesterday, and she was practicing laying. I found her very first, tiny egg this afternoon when I came home from work.

It is amazing how fast a young chick will heal. Hepsiba will now let me pet her and pick her up, and she will lay plenty more brown eggs in the future.

[/IMG]

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC from Kenya - glad to have you join our flock!

All the best
CT

Hi :welcome

That was a very lucky escape there for Hepsiba, sounds very similar to what happen to one my mothers and her dog. Thankfully too Brenda has made a full recovery now a,d is laying again. Congrats on her first egg, that's great news! Nothing like finding those little treasure!!

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad your girl made a full recovery. Congratulations on that first egg!

Back
Top Bottom