miracle of chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by generaldsherman, Nov 9, 2015.

1. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Hello! I got my first chickens in June of this year. I have wanted chickens ever since we got rid of ours when I was a kid, so I got some for myself after buying my first house.

3 months later, I decided to dogsit for the humane society, and I forgot to check where the dog was when I opened the back door after letting the hens out to graze in the yard. Doggy ran outside and starting after my little flock. My head hen, Hepsiba, protected her friends; she charged head on. I managed to get the dog to let her go before he killed her, and took her in and stitched her up. (Doggy left the next morning to humane society again).

It has been 2 months since that incident. Her lost feathers have all grown back, and you can't even tell anything happened. She is now 5 months old, and I have been waiting on pins and needles for her first egg.

The last few days, I could tell she was close. She has been making nests in the hen house, and squatting all over. I came up to her yesterday, and she was practicing laying. I found her very first, tiny egg this afternoon when I came home from work.

It is amazing how fast a young chick will heal. Hepsiba will now let me pet her and pick her up, and she will lay plenty more brown eggs in the future.

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC from Kenya - glad to have you join our flock!

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor girl, she was lucky. Most dog + chicken encounters end up with DEAD chicken

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

That was a very lucky escape there for Hepsiba, sounds very similar to what happen to one my mothers and her dog. Thankfully too Brenda has made a full recovery now a,d is laying again. Congrats on her first egg, that's great news! Nothing like finding those little treasure!!

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm glad your girl made a full recovery. Congratulations on that first egg!

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by