Mischievous Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clapperchicks, Aug 24, 2016.

1. clapperchicks

clapperchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Bi[​IMG]
    Hello everyone. This is my lovely hen. Her name, Mischievous. We have a huge yard that she can roam all day, but yet she chooses to bust out. Its quite funny, when i first let our flock out of the coop/run in the morning, she bolts toward the gate. I watch her walk back and forth, looking for an exit point. I have blocked off every exit point imaginable, yet she still finds a way to escape. Anyone else have a chicken who is like a defiant child?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Good evening! :welcome. Chickens are funny. Some are very cantankerous. Mischievous is very pretty. Is she a Rhode Island Red? What breeds do you have? And how many?

3. clapperchicks

Jul 30, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I am pretty sure she is a Rhode Island Red. Our flock of 10 consists of 6 RIR, 2 Black Australorps and 2 pullets that I'm not quite sure what they are. They look very similar to the Australorps, black feathers with a blue/green sheen, but their tail feathers are a little different. i was thinking they might be Black Sex Link, but not 100% sure. I should post some pictures of them. This is the first time every raising chickens and i am loving it.

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Hah! Yep, shes mischevious!
    They all have different personalities. You got one of the more challenging ones.
    Good luck, sorry to say it, but be prepared for a bad outcome if she gets out on the wrong day when a predator is around.

5. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I had a Rhode Island Red that would do the same think haha. She's the only chicken I have ever had that would leave my yard. I really had to keep my eyes on her. Her name was brownie but I nicknamed her trouble lol. Sadly she passed away a month ago:(

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

She is being normal....She found a spot she likes on the other side of the fence...Winter is coming so she will act different next spring....Enjoy the birds.

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I have a rir that does that too. I still haven't found her escape route lol. She will follow me around like a dog and she comes running whenever she sees me. I feel like I should put her in with her other sisters but then I think if I do she'll just escape back out. When I want her to go back on the coop I just shake a bag of dried mealworms and she's more than willing to go back with her sisters. I love my chickens there's never a dull moment around here

8. clapperchicks

Jul 30, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Ya they are pretty fun to watch. I love that they each have their own personalities. I was thinking of somehow putting a gopro camera on Mischievous, just to see where she is going.[​IMG]. Record her adventures.

9. clapperchicks

Jul 30, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I finally found the nest she had made. I decided to let her out of the yard and follow her. She led me to her nest that contained 4 eggs. Now i am trying to train her to use the nesting boxes in the coop. I have tried not letting them out of the coop/chicken run until i am sure they have all layed their eggs. Mischief will not go to the nesting boxes, she just lays her egg on the ground. I put nesting box on the ground for her to use and then i was just going to move it a little closer to the coop each day, today she still dropped her egg on the ground. Any ideas?

10. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My hens are 22 weeks today, all 5 lay in the nest boxes. But I still find eggs on the floor of the coop, maybe both nest boxes were occupied? I find them under the coop, in the run. If I don't find 5 eggs in the boxes in the morning, I look elsewhere every time I check on my girls. And this afternoon I found an egg in the run. Yea. GC. clapperchicks! Try putting fake eggs in the nest boxes

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by