Miserable adult hen with a dirty ass

Zeoliter

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Japan
I have this hen with pasty butt/vent gleet. I cleaned her off with water and a towel a few days ago but she's a mess again. She's very lethargic and looks miserable. The vent itself doesn't look blocked. She just stands there with her eyes closed. I did some research and it seems there is little that can be done except to keep cleaning? I also read pasty butt in adult chickens can be caused by disease (due to diarrhea) but didn't see any treatment recommendations. Treatment might be difficult as we have one closed-off space in the run but it's currently inhabited by a hen that just had 3 chicks. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!
IMG_20240131_163335.jpg

To treat vent gleet you need an antifungal cream, such as Monistat, or Athlete's foot cream containing clotrimazole. Just smear it around in the entry of the vent.

I also read pasty butt in adult chickens can be caused by disease (due to diarrhea) but didn't see any treatment recommendations. Treatment might be difficult as we have one closed-off space in the run but it's currently inhabited by a hen that just had 3 chicks. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

Coccidiosis is one thing that can cause diarrhea. It is treatable. In the USA where I live, it is common to treat coccidiosis with amprolium (brand name Corid). That can be put in the chickens' drinking water, and is safe for the other chickens as well.

I notice that you are in Japan, and I do not know what is easily available there.

I do not know if your hen has coccidiosis or not, just mentioning it as one thing you might want to look into.

Pictures of the vent and discharge might be helpful. How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Have you ever wormed her or had a fecal done to test for internal parasites?
There a many possible causes, from parasites, infection, reproductive issues, etc. Vent gleet is a yeast overgrowth, other things can cause runny droppings or messy butts. A fecal float test would be a good start. Also check her crop, see if it's empty, full, hard, soft and squishy, etc. And then check again first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water, it should be empty then. Also feel her abdomen, below the vent between the legs, see if there is any bloat, either very firm or water balloon like. Also feel her keel bone, is it well muscled or is the bone very prominent?

Back
Top Bottom