Miss Prissy, when can I put these stinky meat birds outside?

well, it depends on how you look at it. They eat a whole lot more (like 4x), so they produce a WHOLE lot more smelly stuff. I don't think that their smelly stuff smells worse than other chicks, just more of it.

I think it's a different kind of smell, it is a little more offensive then regular chicks and since they go so much, it builds up quickly. It's not nearly as bad as dog poo though.
big_smile.png

Oh yes it does...it is horrible. We have two coops in two separate locations, built and maintained exactly the same way using hay for bedding. In one we have 14 laying hens and a rooster and hardly any smell at all. In the other I have 13 Freedom Rangers and when I walk in there I want to gag. Very glad they only have two weeks to go.

I should say that I am very happy with them in every other way. They just really stink.

I have 50 meat birds in the house as well at the moment. They are a week old(ish) and yes, they produce a TON of poop!! I originally had them in an extra large dog crate, with newspaper, kept at 90 degrees. They seemed to really spread themselves out, and just yesterday I moved them into a kiddie pool. One heat lamp and although it looks crazy, I have the whole thing draped with sheets to hold in heat and keep drafts out. It stays between 75 and 80 and they are still spread out nicely. Yes, when I pick them up they are hot. With our crazy up and down temps lately, I'll deal with the smell until they level out a bit.

I am terribly new to all of this, and worry about them. I have one who has messed up legs, but I'm letting him fend for himself. He is doing ok, making his way around the best way he can. I cannot get attached as they are meat birds...lol...but this little one is kinda special, such a strong will to make it! Ah well, time will tell.

Awww...
sad.png
Sorry to hear that.

A couple of mine have messed up legs too and now that they are getting heavier (7 weeks) it is obvious. They hobble, limp, and use their wings but get around just fine. Also have a couple with crooked toes but they walk better than the others.

The roosters are trying to crow and it sounds hysterical and pathetic! I have a bantam roo that crows and gets them going. If they really start crowing I'll be in trouble. Out of the 13 Freedom Rangers, 8 of them are roos!! My neighbors ought to love that...9 crowing roosters in a garage in the suburbs...oh my.

Back
Top Bottom