Misshaped eggs with thin shells

LyndaW

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
I have 5 hens that have been laying nicely, even through the north Florida winter (at least 10 eggs per week from the group). I have one Brahma, three buff Orpingtons, and one gold-flecked Wyandotte. We did recently lose a Wyandotte to a hawk while they were free-ranging, and apparently, she was big enough that the hawk couldn't fly off with her, so he just "had his way with her" along the back fence of the outdoor run. All our girls were really spooked and it's just been in the last couple of days that they even go back there anymore. It's been about a month ago.

The last two days, we've found these really odd, totally misshaped eggs that are not the usual color. On cracking them this morning, the shells are very thin. What I read scares me for my girls -- infectious bronchitis, etc. I'm including here a dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5f0zhq7nt0gouw8/AAB1eZHp0obUJhKOIacln0Cva?dl=0) to pictures of our "normal" eggs, pictures of the odd eggs, and pictures of the thin shells. The inside of the eggs looked and smelled perfectly normal. Does anybody have thoughts on what might be off?

Thank you!
Concerned FL chicken mom

You are worrying over nothing. Chickens do lay wonky eggs sometimes. When you buy store eggs, those have been removed, so we think that 'good. or healthy' chickens lay perfect eggs, and there must be something wrong with our birds.

Truth is, the commercial birds lay wonky eggs too, they just don't sell them for table use, but rather in bakeries or such. So the public never sees them.

More than likely, you will get a couple of these, and then they will just be normal. You might have a hen that does lay them wonky more of the time, but there really is nothing you can do about it, and it is just her thing, not a dreaded disease.

The next thing people worry about is the diet when this happens. Put some oyster shell out on the side, they may seldom eat it, but that is fine. More than likely, this will straighten up all by itself if you do nothing.

It is just a glitch, they are living birds, not machines, it is not a sign of anything being wrong.

Mrs K

You are worrying over nothing. Chickens do lay wonky eggs sometimes. When you buy store eggs, those have been removed, so we think that 'good. or healthy' chickens lay perfect eggs, and there must be something wrong with our birds.

Truth is, the commercial birds lay wonky eggs too, they just don't sell them for table use, but rather in bakeries or such. So the public never sees them.

More than likely, you will get a couple of these, and then they will just be normal. You might have a hen that does lay them wonky more of the time, but there really is nothing you can do about it, and it is just her thing, not a dreaded disease.

The next thing people worry about is the diet when this happens. Put some oyster shell out on the side, they may seldom eat it, but that is fine. More than likely, this will straighten up all by itself if you do nothing.

It is just a glitch, they are living birds, not machines, it is not a sign of anything being wrong.

Mrs K
Thank you for the words of wisdom! I had hoped that was what I would hear back. The plan, of course, is to keep an eye on things. We've had some fart eggs and some small eggs (and lately some ridiculously GIANT eggs), so I'm sure they will all figure it out. Everyone looks and appears healthy and happy. I'll just keep my observations going!

Back
Top Bottom