Missing 1 hen

I would limit the treats you give them. Treats are anything that isn’t chicken feed pellets or crumble.

I’m not sure what your exact question is, but with depression... You just changed their pecking order by removing them and it’ll take time for them to adjust. Give them plenty to do during the day. Make sure they have plenty of outside time. You can give them leaves and grass piles to scratch through or make them outdoor perches or swings. There so much you can do to stop boredom or depression. They need time to adjust.
Thank you for your advise..my "tweedles" lol thats what I named them appear to be coming to terms with the new arrangements they do still stand at the fence and answer the rooster when he calls..I am limiting the snacks to once every other day..Ive put fresh grass in the run and Ive hung a few old cds for them to see tbeir reflections. I also plan to hang a head of califlower for them to peck away at..My concern was that I would cause them depression from being removed from the rest of the flock even though there are 2 of the silkies in the new run. I will keep monitoring them and trying new things to keep them busy Thank you again

Did one run away? Your thread title has me scratching my head...
Yes..sorry for confusion..incase you havent guessed Im new here and Im going to be making mistakes untill I figure it out..yes my 1 hen has been missing now for around 3 days..I noticed that daily 1 would not be with the flock throughout the day but always returned to the coop at night..then 1 evening there were only 8 instead of 9. I walked the property..checked in the bushes and trees even tried a sorry excuse for clucking no luck..the rooster was crowing most of the next day I presume to try and call her back. Im new to chickens so Im unaware of their antics but Im learning as I spend a good amount of time trying to befriend them. I will keep you all posted on the progress
Thanks for all the great advise

Back
Top Bottom