Targeted chicken, integrating new pullets--could use some advice

KHasChickens

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Hello wise and experienced chicken keepers! I currently have a flock of 8 4 year old ladies (we became chicken keepers during the pandemic as many did)--3 australorps, 3 sapphire gems, one Easter egger, and one speckled Sussex. They are not able to free-range due to predators--found that out a very hard way, so I try to offer them as much enrichment as I can.

The Speckled Sussex has always been a runt and at the bottom of the pecking order and now spends all of her time perching and staying away from the others who all generally treat her mostly with disdain if not outright meanness. The one elder chicken who got along with everyone--my peacekeeper, passed away recently. My SS is scrappy and fast, so she survives by avoiding everyone and eating late, usually. The 3 australorps are like the mob bosses of the flock.

Our coop was built with scraps during quarantine in 2020, and it is a sturdy tank, but about 2 years ago, our chickens decided to start sleeping outside in the run on a roosting bar under a tarped roof...and never went back. (The run is predatorproof.) The use the nesting boxes, but no one sleeps in there. If it is crazy cold and windy, we will shoo them in there, but they severely dislike it, and the lower-ranking hens are targeted more in the enclosed space. The ladies are getting older, but we average 2-3 eggs per day as the days are getting longer. Can't really tell who is laying when...except for the Easter egger.

So now I now have 4 chicks in a brooder-- 2 Wyandotte and 2 red comets...hoping to bring some more red/brown to the flock. We have gotten a second smaller coop (6 chickens, it says) with a small enclosed run that we hope to attach to the common run, with the ability to close off if/when needed. Thought this would help us integrate these 4 chicks when the time comes, and to act as a separating coop if needed by a sick or recuperating chicken--we have had some bumblefoot. (When my husband asked if we were getting more chicks, a second coop was my requirement.) The plan was to put it on the other end of the run since there is a removable panel there.

Wondering if more experienced keeper might have suggestions/logistical insight about things to try or watch out for as we integrate these birds....and how/if I might be able to improve my SS's quality of life. I have thought about rehoming the bully boss...but maybe separating her or even the three australorps in the second coop run for a bit could help? Any thoughts appreciated. My husband thinks I am a chicken coddler...so he kinda rolls his eyes at all my fussing and flock dynamic strategizing--so very different than his chicken-raising days of yore. But I'm a sensitive animal-lover, and since I do most all of the work and care of them, he supports me doing it my way, and I want a happy flock.

Would love any ideas or thoughts you might have. Thanks!
20240302_103002.jpg

Looks like it might be tight quarters for 7 chickens,
let alone 'extra' space that makes integration so much more successful.
The extra coop might be a saving grace here, how big is it actually(most population numbers by manufacturer are grossly overstated).

I like to integrate chicks young, but it take some prep.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Still need to observe the....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

To me the greatest enrichment is space. Give them as much room as you reasonably can. I can't tell how much room you already have but I'd suggest you add another run on that end where you are talking about putting the new coop and put the new coop in that run or with direct access. That panel can be opened to give them all access to all of it when integration is complete. In the meantime the new birds can use that run space to get out of the new coop and be where the existing chickens can see them. From your description I don't think there is much of a run associated with the new coop.

I'd keep the four new ones in that coop/run area until they were going to bed inside the new coop regularly. That way they know where home is. Once they regularly put themselves to bed I'd open the panel and let them mingle. I'd wait at least two weeks so the chicks and adults get used to each other. Try to do that when you can at least part time observe. When I do this it is never a problem but I have a lot more room and the personality of my chickens is different. You don't know how yours will react until you try it.
how/if I might be able to improve my SS's quality of life. I have thought about rehoming the bully boss...but maybe separating her or even the three australorps in the second coop run for a bit could help?
At 4 years old she is still alive. I don't think there is anything you can do to get her accepted into the flock any better. To me the best thing you can do is to add more room. Give her the opportunity to stay further away from the bullies. When you lose a dominant chicken the flock dynamics can change, sounds like yours did. Sometimes that means you have to make uncomfortable decisions. You are looking at them, I'm not. I can't tell how bad it is or if she is actually threatened by them.

I have altered behaviors by isolating chickens. If you try it I'd suggest isolating only the one lead bully. If you take away or alter the ringleader the others sometimes straighten up. Not always but sometimes.

Any thoughts appreciated. My husband thinks I am a chicken coddler...so he kinda rolls his eyes at all my fussing and flock dynamic strategizing--so very different than his chicken-raising days of yore. But I'm a sensitive animal-lover, and since I do most all of the work and care of them, he supports me doing it my way, and I want a happy flock.

Would love any ideas or thoughts you might have. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom