Missing beak?!

What kind of birds do you have? Let me guess production red of some kind?
I would bet so. My production reds are the meanest of the bunch. Inhad to rehome one because she tried to go on a killing spree with the chicks and started attacking me. I agree with culling.

On integrating, we so a slow integration from the start. The chicks get brooded in the coop in a blocked off space that the big girls cant get in. At 2 weeks old they mow go outside in the run in another blocked off space that the bigger girls cant get in. Here is that. It's just bird netting. You can use whatever you have on hand.

Attachments

• 20210410_182513.jpg
    20210410_182513.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I've seen birds survive with 3/4s of a beak and even half a beak...but this is extremely severe. Even if you got it to heal she would never be able to eat, drink or forage on her own. It would be a really awful life for a bird. I'm so sorry this happened.

I would bet so. My production reds are the meanest of the bunch. Inhad to rehome one because she tried to go on a killing spree with the chicks and started attacking me. I agree with culling.

On integrating, we so a slow integration from the start. The chicks get brooded in the coop in a blocked off space that the big girls cant get in. At 2 weeks old they mow go outside in the run in another blocked off space that the bigger girls cant get in. Here is that. It's just bird netting. You can use whatever you have on hand.
Worse birds ever for new introduction, I have no more and will not get anymore. I just threw in 8- 5 weeks olds in with Marans (best birds) and barely even a peck. Rooster walked by and could care less. Looked at them sideways and walked off.

Worse birds ever for new introduction, I have no more and will not get anymore. I just threw in 8- 5 weeks olds in with Marans (best birds) and barely even a peck. Rooster walked by and could care less. Looked at them sideways and walked off.
Yeah, all of my others give a peck here and there but nothing serious. Those dang sexlinks though. Never again will I buy them.

I agree with culling in the case that suffering/death would be inevitable, but I'm hesitant to jump to that as quickly as other posters. I actually JUST watched a vet 2 days ago help what I believe was an amazon parrot? with a totally torn off beak, and while that's obviously much different than a chicken, it did learn to eat and drink in its new way just fine.

If you don't mind sinking money/time into a "utility bird", it wouldn't hurt to call up or stop by a vet. I agree with not letting an animal suffer, but I'm not COMPLETELY sure this is a doomed to suffer case?

Admittedly I'm prone to taking those wild chances.

I went out and inspected again to see if either hen had any blood at all. I'm not seeing anything 🙈 I don't know who to blame. I don't want to get rid of either of them because I only have those 2 but I can't have something so aggressive in my flock
No worries! There's nothing wrong with just keeping the chickies separated well if you don't want to cull anyone !

Back
Top Bottom