Missing broody egg - can I give her a store bought chick now?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
My broody when she started to sit had 1 real egg and 1 porcelain egg under her. I gave her another fertilized egg to also sit on. Today is day 12. The one I gave her I just saw today was cracked and the chick obviously dead. I looked to check for the other egg and it was gone. I searched high and low in the coop and her, I felt under her wings and lifted up her body and nothing. I’m so confused what happened with it. About 2 days ago that egg was the one that was on the ground of the coop so maybe it was a bad egg and she knocked down again and the other chickens ate it shell and all? I have 1/4 inch hardware everywhere on my coop so I doubt a snake. Anyway, you lose some you win some.

At this point I’m looking to give her a chick since she has been super diligent as a broody and I want to reward her for that. Should I wait to put a day old chick under at night until her 21 days is up or does it not matter when? She is only sitting on a porcelain egg right now.

Any help is appreciated!

I would give her a chick any day at night she will appreciate it a bunch! They would take every chick in the world of they could!😂😂
Lol that’s funny. Won’t she realize the “egg” isn’t supposed to hatch yet? Also should I take the fake egg out when I put the chick under her at night? What time at night do you stick them under them anyway?

Lol that’s funny. Won’t she realize the “egg” isn’t supposed to hatch yet? Also should I take the fake egg out when I put the chick under her at night? What time at night do you stick them under them anyway?
I don't think broody hens keep track of when the eggs is going to hatch. You should take the fake egg out. I would do it right after it gets dark.

Back
Top Bottom