Missing Chicken without a trace

Jun 1, 2018
Savannah GA
My Buff orpington dissapeared without a trace. A week ago my dog got a hold of her but she was alright and was doing great. She and my other 8 chickens were free in the backyard, wich is completly fenced off. It was probably and hour since I checked last and she was gone. We have no low trees she could be in. I know for certain my dog was not out, and I would see feathers. And I would think even if a hawk got her I might see some feathers. I cant figure a racoon would haul her through a fence without a trace. Ive looked all through our yard and the neighbors. Any Idea? We have no foxes in our neighborhood. Thanks!

Do you have any holes she could've gotten into? Chickens tend to find their way into houses sometimes too, so maybe somewhere around your house? Check around the outside of it, maybe in the garage too if you have one. You're right about the feathers, if a predator got her there would be a bit of a mess... unless there was wind.

I've had this happen with one of my hens before too. I looked and looked, but couldn't find her. She comes back 2 months later looking a little skinny, but otherwise in good shape. No idea where the heck she went, but I was glad to have her back. Chickens seem to go into any little area they can get into. They can end up in some really weird places. Look around and really check everything! Even places you wouldn't normally look. She's bound to be someplace. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a predator involved, because as you said, there would have been feathers. Best of luck finding her!

They can fly up and over fences. Your best bet is to call for her starting at dusk. If she got spooked she could of ran off (over the fence). If she’s anywhere close she’ll hear your other chickens. Watch your other chickens they will respond to her. Sometimes they will hide until dawn. I would go out just before dawn and call her. She just might surprise you. Best wishes

I just remembered something that could've definitely happened. Orpingtons are typically broody breeds, so she probably went off somewhere to try and hatch some eggs. She'll only come out every once in a while to get food and water, about once or twice a day for a couple minutes. It's best to keep looking for her though, and if you find her, move her to a separated dark nesting box away from the other chickens and bring her eggs with her. Keep a close eye on her when you do this so that she doesn't go to the same spot. I hope you find her! Heres a cute video that gave me the idea.

I've had this happen with one of my hens before too. I looked and looked, but couldn't find her. She comes back 2 months later looking a little skinny, but otherwise in good shape. No idea where the heck she went, but I was glad to have her back. Chickens seem to go into any little area they can get into. They can end up in some really weird places. Look around and really check everything! Even places you wouldn't normally look. She's bound to be someplace. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a predator involved, because as you said, there would have been feathers. Best of luck finding her!

Okay thank you! This give me hope. And we do have some dog holes I'll look in.

Back
Top Bottom