Missing Chicken!

Imogenxo

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Hello!

We have a flock of 7 chickens (now sadly down to 4 due to a dog.) Our neighbour's dog got into our garden again and jumped the fence of their run (electrified.) It got one, two went into the trees and the other two ran into the field. We found one again but no trace of our black leghorn. The last time the dog attacked she flew into the trees and then down into our neighbour's garden, making her own way back within 10-20 minutes. The attack happened at around 1pm and it's now 5:30pm. We've left it so she can get back in again but we're all just a bit worried. There have been no feathers around. Any ideas?

welcome-byc.gif

I am sorry you come to us under sad circumstances.

I am thinking that she may have just "flown the coop" due to the dog. I do hope she is found or comes home on her own.

I am sure you have already scanned the trees and yard in your neighborhood looking for her. She may be in hiding and surface in a day or so.

In the mean time I would only suggest that the fence be made stronger against the neighbors dog.
Have you considered a roofed run? How about a hoop run? If you are trying to range them perhaps a chicken tractor would help.

I roofed mine due to hawks. My run is 7 foot tall so walking in it is no issue.

I am so sorry you are losing chickens to an invading dog.

I would also consider having a heart to heart talk with the neighbor. Technically his dog was not on a leash or in a fenced in area. It escaped, broke into your electrified run and killed your chickens. He owes you for the loss of your birds and needs to understand that if you catch his dog on your property harassing and killing your chickens again, the dog will not be coming home but will be enjoying vacation time at the local pound.

So sorry meeting you under such stressful conditions. Where we live I'm afraid folks tend to have talks with their neighbors and if that doesn't work, the shot gun comes out loaded with rock salt. If that doesn't work the hunting rifle comes out. The local law enforcement around us more or less expects farmers to deal with farmer. They have bigger fish to fry. Usually having to bail a beloved pet out of the pet pokey is motivation enough to keep the animal in its own yard where it belongs.

I agree about either netting or wiring the top of your run. You could also run a hot wire around the top of your run. We hot wire the bottom of our run as our dogs tend to get nosy at times. Nothing cures a snoopy dog faster than a wet nose on a hot wire and you should be able to run both wires off a single charger. Put your ground to your fence. Make sure you are running a livestock grade charger also. Ours is 'graded' for cattle and large livestock.

Hopefully your missing girl is hold up somewhere waiting for things to calm down and will come home. That roost pole is a strong draw.

Hope things work out for you.

File a police report. The dog entered your property and killed your livestock , the owner is liable and if they don't confine the dog, the next time it happens you can request it be removed. But you have to file a report. They Also owe you the value of the birds.

Thank you! They live pretty sheltered by trees which they roost in at night. We were hoping she'd come back once it got a bit darker but this morning there was no sign of her. The dogs owner was almost in tears and horrified, she won't let it out unless it's on a lead anymore. I guess it's just a waiting game now. She was always pretty tame so hopefully she'll come back once the shock of the attack has worn off.

Hello!

We have a flock of 7 chickens (now sadly down to 4 due to a dog.) Our neighbour's dog got into our garden again and jumped the fence of their run (electrified.) It got one, two went into the trees and the other two ran into the field. We found one again but no trace of our black leghorn. The last time the dog attacked she flew into the trees and then down into our neighbour's garden, making her own way back within 10-20 minutes. The attack happened at around 1pm and it's now 5:30pm. We've left it so she can get back in again but we're all just a bit worried. There have been no feathers around. Any ideas?

Show a picture of the electrified fence dog jumped. This might be fixed with a very small amount to tweaking, If you birds are in a free-range setting where you have close neighbors, then your predator manage options are severely limited.

Last edited:
Letting your birds roost in trees is simply asking for them to be eaten by owls, raccoons or possums. Might not have happened yet but it will. Build them a coop with a 5 sided lockable run and train them to get in the coop every evening. Or sooner or later you will lose them all.

Update!

We found her shivering, hungry and frightened in a tall tree by the main road. Un harmed. Thank you all for replying! :)

Letting your birds roost in trees is simply asking for them to be eaten by owls, raccoons or possums. Might not have happened yet but it will. Build them a coop with a 5 sided lockable run and train them to get in the coop every evening. Or sooner or later you will lose them all.

A huge X2. I have never known chickens roosting in trees to last long at all.

I am glad she is home. Now to making home a safer place to be.

Back
Top Bottom