Missing chicken

Bethdegnan

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Sadly, one of our chickens was nowhere to be found last night when we went to close up their coop. We have six chickens. Four chickens were in the coop and one was outside in the swingset. Their coop door must have blown shut between when the four got in and the other two were still outside. Only one was on the swingset and the other is nowhere to be found ☹️ I’m guessing something got her because this morning she is still nowhere to be found. My question is, do chickens mourn the loss of a flock mate? My two remaining isa browns have been walking around the swingset and jumping up into it for two hours this morning. They never do this. It’s like they are searching for her. They keep looking in the playhouse and on the playhouse roof. It’s so sad. Normally they spend all of their time foraging in our yard and woods. This is unusual for them. My buff Orpingtons seem to care less, but then again they are not quite as smart as my isa browns from what I can tell.

Sadly, one of our chickens was nowhere to be found last night when we went to close up their coop. We have six chickens. Four chickens were in the coop and one was outside in the swingset. Their coop door must have blown shut between when the four got in and the other two were still outside. Only one was on the swingset and the other is nowhere to be found ☹ I’m guessing something got her because this morning she is still nowhere to be found. My question is, do chickens mourn the loss of a flock mate? My two remaining isa browns have been walking around the swingset and jumping up into it for two hours this morning. They never do this. It’s like they are searching for her. They keep looking in the playhouse and on the playhouse roof. It’s so sad. Normally they spend all of their time foraging in our yard and woods. This is unusual for them. My buff Orpingtons seem to care less, but then again they are not quite as smart as my isa browns from what I can tell.
Sometimes they go for some alone time. I have heard of good stories of their chicken returning back home. Check on top of roof and trees.

Sadly, one of our chickens was nowhere to be found last night when we went to close up their coop. We have six chickens. Four chickens were in the coop and one was outside in the swingset. Their coop door must have blown shut between when the four got in and the other two were still outside. Only one was on the swingset and the other is nowhere to be found ☹ I’m guessing something got her because this morning she is still nowhere to be found. My question is, do chickens mourn the loss of a flock mate? My two remaining isa browns have been walking around the swingset and jumping up into it for two hours this morning. They never do this. It’s like they are searching for her. They keep looking in the playhouse and on the playhouse roof. It’s so sad. Normally they spend all of their time foraging in our yard and woods. This is unusual for them. My buff Orpingtons seem to care less, but then again they are not quite as smart as my isa browns from what I can tell.
They can be looking for her, mourning, or just aware something bad happened and are a bit fearful. They can be experiencing all of those things at once, too. Chickens are smarter and more sensitive than they're generally given credit for. The smaller the flock, the tighter the emotional bond is. It's so painful to lose a girl. I'm sorry for your loss! 😔

Back
Top Bottom