Missing chicken

Story of my last week. Chickens get to free range for a short bit in the pm in a fenced area. I go out to close the coop door, thinking they are all in. Next morning, see that 4 are enjoying free time, they must've roosted on the top of the run! Well, it's pointless to try and get these young'uns to go in during the day. One is on the other side of the fence in the enclosed garden. Left him in there to fetch that night. Fast forward to that evening, it is now raining. Looked everywhere in the garden and could not find him. Said a prayer and gave up. Lol and behold, he is still in the garden the next morning, and not very wet at all. Another evening one chicken was out, roosting on top of the nesting box cover. She was one that liked to escape often.
DH put up more barrier so they cannot get up onto the run. Escapee problem solved after test runs. Praying yours will show up in the morning, and that she is roosting safely out of predators reach.
Oh wow! Hahahaha thank you!!!

I used to have a polish hen who would not get into the coop sometimes before dark. I would look everywhere inside your coop and run, in case she could have gotten stuck behind something. I once found her wedged down behind my nest boxes. She would get run off by some of the others, and was found hiding or just befuddled in some odd places. Outside I found her roosting in some shrubbery after dark. So I would look outside with a flashlight after first checking the inside of the coop and run. Then if you don’t find her, I would go out at first light in the morning, and shake some feed in a can or other container. Make sure there is some feed and water out for her. Mine would come running if I shook a coffee can with some scratch grains. I really hope that you find her.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel a bit better knowing that haha

Back
Top Bottom