Missing chicken!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DoveStar, Feb 27, 2015.

1. DoveStar

DoveStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Help!!! Please, I own 6 chickens and love them very much! But I came home from school this afternoon and one is missing!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I live in chandler, az. There are no signs of a struggle; no feathers, body, anything... I clip their wings but it was windy today so maybe she got over the brick wall.. But I called her name (I baby my chickens, they all know their names) and drove around the entire neighborhood and didn't find her.. [​IMG] I started thinking a hawk might have gotten her.. Any ideas guys? [​IMG]

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    What breed is she?

3. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    She is an Easter egger; super friendly and just started laying a few days ago. She was still not fully grown yet.

4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm... There could be a chance she went broody. Look under bushes or places she might be brooding.

Hawks usually leave pile of feathers from where they got the chicken.

5. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ

Well, I live in a small little neighborhood that isn't even allowed to have chickens, that is how small of a backyard we have. We don't have tons of places for her to hide, so I was able to check them all. No chicken... [​IMG]

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I here you, chickens aren't tolerated much here either... Shh :)

You can shake some food, look for feathers... Feathers would be the main clue. Look in trees too.

Could a dog of gotten her and someone cleaned the evidence? Or any chance a person thought she was lost so they picked her up?

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ

I shook her favorite treats while I walked basically the entire neighborhood, and she didn't respond [​IMG]

Alright, il check for feathers and in the trees.

We have a dog, but he is scared stiff of the chickens. And no one has been home but me, and we have a brick wall so no one would be able to see all the feathers through the wall. So I don't think anyone would come in and clean feathers up :/

She might have barely made it over the fence, and someone could've picked her up. I don't think so, but I'm going to put up signs everywhere and send out an email. :)

8. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop

A dog in someone else's yard she wandered into, she could of hopped the fence.

Keep us posted :)

I know how you feel, I have never lost a chicken, but a pet rooster I rehomed was cooked up to eat, under stupid circumstances. Anyways, hopefully she will turn up.

9. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ

True... :(

Ok, I will. :)

Oh no, I'm sorry! :(

10. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop