Missing chickens

KatieRice

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Shaftsbury, VT
I got two Lakenvelder pullets today and brought them home to get set up in their coop. I came inside for an hour to let them settle in and when I came back out they were in the yard. When they saw me they took off into the tall brush and I can't seem to find them. Will they come back on their own, this is a new environment for them?

How did they get out of their coop? Were they in a run? I'd look around for them and keep my distance so as not to spook them - see if you can find where they roost for the night and try to catch them after dark. Not sure what else to tell you. I hope you find them.

Yes, sorry they were in the run and I think they flew out (it's 6 ft high). I've left it open for them and put food and water in. I've seen on (or both) poke out for a bit then go back in. Thanks for the help.

We caught one but couldn't find the other. It's been dark for a few hours. We were hoping the other would come when she heard her sister's calls but no such luck. Any chance she'll pop up tomorrow?

We caught one but couldn't find the other. It's been dark for a few hours. We were hoping the other would come when she heard her sister's calls but no such luck. Any chance she'll pop up tomorrow?

If nothing gets her, she shouldn't wander far if the other is penned, Put a feeder and waterer right against the pen and hopefully she'll come in and you can get her. If you can't get her after a while and the first is penned you might try putting the penned bird in a crate and letting the run door open.

We saw her in the neighbors yard around dusk but they came out to grill and she disappeared. We thought for sure the neighbors dog got her because that's his specialty. BUT I saw her this morning on my way to work, not too far from home. I've decided to let her free range today (because I was already running late for work) and I'll see what I can do when I get home. Thanks everyone
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom