Missing Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zchicks, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Zchicks

Zchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    My Coop
    My mixed flock of 7 hens (1Tetra Tint, 4 RSl, 2 White Leghorns & 1Partridge Plymouth Rock) have been laying for 2 months now, right on schedule. I was getting 4 to 6 eggs per day as of 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden I have no more white eggs! Have both of my White leghorns stopped laying?? Or are they BOTH laying somewhere else?? The girls free range our 2 acres all day and get locked up ina nice coop with little attached run at night. Previously, all the girls consistently layed right in the coop's nest boxes. I'd say it's been about a week with no white eggs at all.

P.S. We used to have 1 Rooster but had to re-home him a few weeks ago because he was too rough on my 2 year old. He was a great rooster and just doing his job but it wasn't working for us. Could this have anything to do with the missing white eggs??

Thanks!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    !) If they free range, the may find a spot somewhere else . 2) other chickens might be eating them, any broken shells? 3) change of weather or diet? 4) are the molting? these maybe the reasons your not getting eggs.

3. Zchicks

Zchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Dutchess County, NY
    My Coop
    I don't think they're being eaten. No messes or broken shells around. No Molting either and the weather is still very good. Start of Fall in NY but still warm today was 75 and sunny. I was afraid they might be laying them somewhere outside. Those White Leghorns are the kooks of the bunch.

So what should I do?? Search for the eggs and discard them? Can I retrain them to lay in the nesting boxes? How?

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I dont know how long or how old the eggs are. If you think its been out too long throw them away. Is your coop fenced? I will keep them locked up until they know they are supposed to lay eggs in the box again !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by