MISSING FEATHERS AROUND NECK (WON'T GROW BACK)

natedog0107

Hatching
Sep 7, 2019
My year-old chickens neck feathers are missing and haven't grow back yet (it's been a few months) what does this mean, and what can i do?

All my hens are like that. Too many teenage boys. I moved them from the summer tractors and put them back in the hen house with one nice lad who must have twisted his ankle somehow. I don’t know whether the feathers will grow back before they have their first molt... they were September hatchlings last year, so that could be a while.

I’ve read here that when you have a flock with no rooster sometimes one of the hens will act like a rooster. I never saw anyone talk about the “roo-hen” mounting the other girls but cows do mount one another during their fertile periods. Of course plenty of all-hen flocks out there do not exhibit these behaviors.

If you have some time, I would go out there and just sit with them on a comfortable day. Stay until they forget about you being there if they ever do that. (Mine do, but I know some are more pets than others and might not leave you alone no matter how long you sit there.) Give it a try, though. Maybe you’ll figure out what’s going on.

Back
Top Bottom