Missing feathers near vent

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
I have been housebound for almost a month due to a broken leg that required surgery. DH has been feeding the chickens and gathering the eggs. After my doctor appointment today he helped me get to the coop to visit them for a little while. I noticed several of them looked a little scraggly on their backside, so he helped me catch a few to look at. They are missing a lot of feathers, and some look a little raw. The area is about 1-2” in diameter. I couldn’t see any nits/lice on the other feathers. I think they may be starting to regrow some but not sure. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong? I am hoping it is nothing serious because there is no way I can help treat them right now, and he is overloaded.

I have 11 pullets, they are 10 months old, a couple of different breeds. All are laying fairly regularly. They eat Nutrena Hearty Hen (layer feed with 18% protein), and get the occasional handful of scratch (once or twice a week). I am not sure if all of them are affected but at least 3-4 are.

Here are a few pics. Sorry that one is a little blurry.

463C4BAE-60AB-4978-A78E-E2506ED9AC20.jpeg

233EDFBF-C4E1-4498-9E17-D562176074FD.jpeg

Looks like you've got some feather pecking going on. You can try pine tar or an anti-pecking spray to discourage the behavior, but also consider whether it could be a sign of boredom or overcrowding. Are they stuck in the coop all day? Do they have things to scratch and peck at? Enough nesting boxes and roosting bars with enough space between them?

I didn’t think it was pecking because I didn’t see any sign anywhere else on their body. They are locked up all the time, but are in a 10’x12’ coop with three 10’ long roosts at different heights and three nest boxes. They can’t reach each other from one roost to the next. They also have a dust bath, and several buckets and other items in the coop to break up the space. But I will observe them on camera more often and see if I catch anyone doing it. Thanks.

I didn’t think it was pecking because I didn’t see any sign anywhere else on their body. They are locked up all the time, but are in a 10’x12’ coop with three 10’ long roosts at different heights and three nest boxes. They can’t reach each other from one roost to the next. They also have a dust bath, and several buckets and other items in the coop to break up the space. But I will observe them on camera more often and see if I catch anyone doing it. Thanks.
I am not experienced enough to know but it doesn’t appear that there are skin wounds so feather plucking may be the culprit. Hens can reach quite high up standing and stretching (they help me pick highbush blueberries!) so check for that when you observe them roosting. You know they are active at night at times, they don’t sleep conked out all night long…my ladies don’t, for the first part of the night at least. They tend to take an early sleep right away, then they wake and change positions, stand up, preen, etc., before tucking in again.

Mystery solved, now…what to do about it?

Well it looks like the cause of my “naked butt” girls is from one of them “feather plucking/pecking”, and pretty sure the culprit is Scarlett. So now, what I do to stop it? Especially with my limited mobility right now?!

I observed it happen several times yesterday morning. I doubt nutrition is the issue unless she has really high protein requirements. Their feed is 18% protein, which should be plenty when they aren’t molting. But I will still try to find a way to offer a high protein treat a few times a week. We do throw some scratch, or grass clippings, etc, in on occasion for them to scratch around for. And since the coop has a dirt floor they do scratch around a lot since they occasionally find bugs. And of course we add small amounts of more shavings several times a month which they enjoy spreading around and mixing in. But I will see if DH has time to rake up some leaves or something to add in for this weekend.

It also doesn’t appear overtly aggressive (although there is definitely some mild aggression to it). It is more like she sees a fluffy butt on a girl with her head down and can’t resist going over and grabbing a few of those fluffy little feathers.

Overcrowding shouldn’t be the issue, and I don’t have any way to provide them more space at this time. We have been trying for several months to find a way to build them a separate run that we can put them in at least a few times a week. But for now (due to finances, my injury, and some other factors) they are in their coop all the time. It is 120 sq feet for 11 chickens, which is almost 11 sq feet per chicken. There are three nest boxes and three 10’ roosts of different heights. I have three feeders, and usually two waterers, but it is currently just one heated waterer for the winter. There is a large trash can that holds shavings and several buckets (with their food and other items inside) for clutter, but they probably need to be spread out a little more or moved around occasionally. I will see if I can think of anything else to put in it, but that will take time.
E89D7F49-77C0-4A05-B32A-A02490AF8891.jpeg

I did order some “chicken toys” today, hopefully that will help of boredom is the issue.
15DC13A1-7A1A-4F08-B995-868F42F0FC6A.jpeg

As a last resort I will cage her during the day for awhile to try to break the behavior. But that will have to wait until I am mobile. There is no way my DH will have time or ability to do that. He is already extremely overwhelmed and overloaded.

I wonder if part of it is also that I haven’t been able to visit them regularly. Me being out there for short periods almost every day probably have her more mental stimulation.

Any other suggestions?

The hanging cabbage is a good idea for boredom buster.

For the hens that have a bare, scabbed bottom, I'd apply some NuStock cream to the bare areas. It's strong smelling, will help heal the skin and may deter her from plucking as well. Wear gloves when you apply or your hands will smell like the cream.

Do you see her eat the feathers she's plucked? Sometimes it just turns into a bad habit or she may have discovered that new growth feathers (blood feathers) taste "good" (apparently to chickens).

Pinless peepers can be put on her instead of caging her, look into those as well.

The hanging cabbage is a good idea for boredom buster.

For the hens that have a bare, scabbed bottom, I'd apply some NuStock cream to the bare areas. It's strong smelling, will help heal the skin and may deter her from plucking as well. Wear gloves when you apply or your hands will smell like the cream.

Do you see her eat the feathers she's plucked? Sometimes it just turns into a bad habit or she may have discovered that new growth feathers (blood feathers) taste "good" (apparently to chickens).

Pinless peepers can be put on her instead of caging her, look into those as well.
The feathers she is plucking are so short and downy that it’s hard to tell in my chicken cam if she is eating them or not. Thanks for the other suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom