Missing feathers on belly

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
Lately I have been finding small fluffy feathers in the nesting box. Quite a few of them. Yesterday as my son was picking up a chicken I realized that at least 2 of my chickens are missing a LOT of feathers on their bellies. They look like a plucked chicken under there. There is no sign of pecking. The skin is not under distress or bloodied. What could be causing this? Will they grow back?

Quote:
could be molting or they are getting ready to go broody!!! Most of my broody girls have nekkid breasts when they are getting ready to go broody-thier skin touches the eggs to keep them warm to incubate:) and yes they do grow back if thats the case. In the mean time-check for lice and mites-especially near the vent.

Quote:
could be molting or they are getting ready to go broody!!! Most of my broody girls have nekkid breasts when they are getting ready to go broody-thier skin touches the eggs to keep them warm to incubate:) and yes they do grow back if thats the case. In the mean time-check for lice and mites-especially near the vent.

x2

They don't seem to spend a lot of time in the nesting boxes. Isn't this what broody hens will do? What exactly do I look for when I'm looking for mites and lice (eww). I have no idea what they look like. Are they both visiable to the eye?

My 1st thought was they are getting ready to go broody or are broody do these 2 sit on the nest all the time. I would think you might have a couple of broody hens on your hands. I would check for lice/mites just to be safe. But the 2 hens I had that had no feathers on their underside where broody. Good luck.

Also...I didn't mention....they squawk and cluck A LOT. Sometimes from the coop and sometimes just randomly while they are free ranging. They are so loud that I thought we might as well have gotten roosters. I can't figure out what they are carrying on about. We have 2 identical Australorpes (sp) that do this. I'm not sure if it's just one or both of them at different times.

Quote:
Flip the birds on their backs and gently pull tail back to expose their vents-look all around the vent and near feathers-look closely! If you see crawly bugs you got bugs!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom