1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing feathers on belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by photo chick, Jul 1, 2011.

1. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Lately I have been finding small fluffy feathers in the nesting box. Quite a few of them. Yesterday as my son was picking up a chicken I realized that at least 2 of my chickens are missing a LOT of feathers on their bellies. They look like a plucked chicken under there. There is no sign of pecking. The skin is not under distress or bloodied. What could be causing this? Will they grow back?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:could be molting or they are getting ready to go broody!!! Most of my broody girls have nekkid breasts when they are getting ready to go broody-thier skin touches the eggs to keep them warm to incubate:) and yes they do grow back if thats the case. In the mean time-check for lice and mites-especially near the vent.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:could be molting or they are getting ready to go broody!!! Most of my broody girls have nekkid breasts when they are getting ready to go broody-thier skin touches the eggs to keep them warm to incubate:) and yes they do grow back if thats the case. In the mean time-check for lice and mites-especially near the vent.

x2

4. photo chick

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    They don't seem to spend a lot of time in the nesting boxes. Isn't this what broody hens will do? What exactly do I look for when I'm looking for mites and lice (eww). I have no idea what they look like. Are they both visiable to the eye?

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    My 1st thought was they are getting ready to go broody or are broody do these 2 sit on the nest all the time. I would think you might have a couple of broody hens on your hands. I would check for lice/mites just to be safe. But the 2 hens I had that had no feathers on their underside where broody. Good luck.

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I have the same thing occasionally. no mites or lice. Just happens. The feathers grew back.

7. photo chick

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Also...I didn't mention....they squawk and cluck A LOT. Sometimes from the coop and sometimes just randomly while they are free ranging. They are so loud that I thought we might as well have gotten roosters. I can't figure out what they are carrying on about. We have 2 identical Australorpes (sp) that do this. I'm not sure if it's just one or both of them at different times.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Flip the birds on their backs and gently pull tail back to expose their vents-look all around the vent and near feathers-look closely! If you see crawly bugs you got bugs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by