Missing feathers on bottems

Cluckengoodtimes

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2022
Looking for some advice. I have a flock of hens they seem to be missing feathers on there bottoms. Eating and drinking fine. Laying eggs as usual no poop or vent problems that are visible. Some are missing feathers other are fine. No protrusions or anything that would indicate an infection. One has a bit of blood. Will wash and dry and keep an eye on her. Anything to be concerned about? Any advice or additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's either mites/lice or they're picking their own feathers out. Mites show up as little black specks, and lice are straw-colored bugs.

I did inspect the her vent, i did not see anything. Can you see the mites? I didn't get a picture yet.

Thanks!
20220419_190622.jpg

It's either mites/lice or they're picking their own feathers out. Mites show up as little black specks, and lice are straw-colored bugs.
Ok thank you, how do you treat them? They to dust bath themselves.

Are those bugs? If so, they look like lice. You'll have to get a permethrin dust from your feed store, and dust them with it, at least once a week.

There just missing feathers. I will do a search for bugs tomorrow. Thanks!
You're welcome! They are probably just pecking out each other's feathers, and there's not much you can do about that. You could give them extra protein, because that's probably what they're craving. They may just be bored, though.

You're welcome! They are probably just pecking out each other's feathers, and there's not much you can do about that. You could give them extra protein, because that's probably what they're craving. They may just be bored, though.
Thank you, checked for bugs did not see anything. I am assuming there bored. I am make them a run that should help. Thank you for the response!😉

Back
Top Bottom