1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zark, Sep 27, 2008.

1. zark

zark Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This spring the rooster knocked the feathers out of the back on some of the hens. They have been with a bald spot all summer. Got sun burn a few times, etc. The rooster has been gone since early spring, but the feathers still have not grown back in. Will these hens have these bald spots the rest of their lives?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My understanding is that once they go through a molt those feathers will all grow back in.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If a feather gets broken, it doesn't get replaced until the normal molting time. The feathers "don't know" they need to be replaced.. Pulled out feathers start a reaction towards growing a new feather.

So these hens will look that way until they finally start molting(should be soon late summer- fall is generally the time chickens start to molt) which will replace just about every feather on their body.. they will look "normal" again.

4. zark

zark Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info, sounds like help is soon on the way. I felt bad for two of them in the summer. Their skin would be burnt a bright red, “ouch.” I enjoyed hearing the roosters crow, but the hens were taking a terrific beating. They are much calmer now and way more friendly.
    I let them free range a few hours every afternoon. They have seventy five acres to roam on, but seldom stray more than a hundred yards from the roost. They do have a life of luxury, as far as a chickens life would be looked at. They must have five dusting areas, most under large pine trees. The fall insect population has been filling their crops. I can sit and enjoy watching them for hours.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Make sure the poor things don't get sunburned to much. Could cause pecking and itching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by