Missing hen question

Cranman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
Sanford NC
I have 8 chickens that free range my property and am missing a hen. She is a Bantam Silky, about 4 months old. I am not sure when I saw her last, she cold have been missing for a day or two.

Is it likely that she has nested somewhere? I would think she's too young, but I have a Bantam Silky rooster and maybe they mated? I'm worried about her now. Suggestions or advice? I've walked the property and looked in alot of spots, no evidence of attack (feathers) but something could have carried her off.

something could have carried her off....sorry
hit.gif

Good news & bad news - Yes, she could have been carried off oooooor on a lighter note she might have wandered off. Maybe she is in a tree. It has happened before and they do come back.. Don't give up yet

Ok, thanks for the advice and possible reality check...of all my free range chickens I liked the silkys best, and hopefully she is hiding in the woods. Thanks again!

While it is true that a predator could have nabbed her, it is just as likely that she has stolen her nest and is setting on eggs somewhere. Keep looking. If she shows up. watch her and find the nest. Then you can move it to a place of safety. Do it at night and make sure she can`t get out and return to the old nest........Pop

I've had a pullet go missing like that.....Poof! Just gone. I hope you find her, but it's kind of early for her to lay eggs and go broody being that she's only 4 mos old......not impossible, just unlikely.

If something scares them very badly, it can take alot of coaxing to get them back home. One time, I had to call my flock....I called and called and it took about 30 to 45 minutes for them to come home......They came up through the woods like they had been hiding and terrified.......I though I had lost them all!

Take care, and hoping your little silkie returns!

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom