Missing hen

countrykrissy

Hatching
Dec 4, 2020
Hi. I am really upset tonight. I just rehomed my 6 year old hen because she was the last one remaining over the years and seemed kinda depressed since she lost her last mate. I rehomed her to a friends house who has a very nice setup and 9 other hens. Today was her third day and has been doing well. She lets her chickens free range during the day while her husband works from home. She also let her free range today and was seen several times throughout the day. When my friend got home from work today she wasn’t around. She said she called for her and looked all in the yard. I feel so guilty thinking I did the right thing by rehoming her and now she’s gone. I really think she should of left her in the run a few days and I suggested it but she didnt. Do you think she is lost? Do you think there is any hope she will show up? I keep beating myself up that I should of keep her. 😢😭

My hens like to go in the weirdest places, I tend to shake the meal worm bag and they come running. Could she try that? Does your hen know the sound of food or a bag ?
Yes she does. I will get her to try that tomorrow. Just worried she will not survive tonight since she isn’t in the hen house.

Sometimes if a hen is in a “new” and unfamiliar place, they will try to find a safe place to roost or hide for the night since they don’t know the ropes of their new place yet. I had a Polish who was new and she would disappear and roost in the garden over night, and the next morning she’d be our roaming again! There is still hope! If your friend hasn’t had any predator problems, then your hen is probably just hiding out somewhere!

Sometimes if a hen is in a “new” and unfamiliar place, they will try to find a safe place to roost or hide for the night since they don’t know the ropes of their new place yet. I had a Polish who was new and she would disappear and roost in the garden over night, and the next morning she’d be our roaming again! There is still hope! If your friend hasn’t had any predator problems, then your hen is probably just hiding out somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom