Missing neck feathers???

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
I have noticed that my Sussex is missing some feathers around her neck. Hen peck do you think or maybe moulting? I’m unsure if/what I should treat for?
thanks for your help in advance:
D2048B12-4915-4A98-9344-B874ACEFC3F3.jpeg

She's beautiful!
How old is she? Have you checked them over really well for lice and mites? Do they have adequate space in their coop and run? How long has she been like this and is this the only place?
Tagging @aart for some expertise, knowledge and advice.
She would be about a year and a half (give or take we got her at about 8 weeks old on the 3rd of June last year). I haven’t checked for mites but they are let out to free range during the day and they have a large coop and access to a run during the day. I will check her over for mites. What kind of mites am I looking for? Red mite or other types?

Looks like something grabbed a mouthful.
I don't think that's from bugs, but.......
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Looks like something grabbed a mouthful.
I don't think that's from bugs, but.......
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I will do this tonight thanks. I was going to grab her and check before I left for school but she was laying so I left her alone.

Back
Top Bottom