missing pullets :( what can i do?

NikolasGuy1234

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
ok. so, i went to check on my chickens to close their coop up and saw that 2 of my younger isa browns are missing! i'm extremely afraid because the 2 girls that are missing are my favorites. they are around 14 weeks i'd say and i really dont wanna loose my girls.

i want complete honesty, please. do, you think they might have just picked a tree to roost in, or a place to hide? ive been searching for the past hour and cant find a trace....

It is possible that they found another place to roost but that would normally only occur if they were scared (of a predator) or being bullied out of the coop.

90% of my 'missing' chickens never come home... The 10% that do make it back home are ones that got stuck in a flipped bucket or stuck behind something. If you have any overturned bucket or tight spots check there. I've had several chickens jump on the edge of a bucket and get stuck underneath when it flipped over on them. It would be odd for two to go that route, but doesn't hurt to check.

If you don't find any feathers, keep your eyes open and keep looking. (I've found that fox around here are one of the few predators that leave no trace- all the others leave a mess: weasel, raccoon, possum, cats, etc).

Good luck

Two nights in a row I found one of my splash marans in hay as tall as me just laying there not wanting to go into the coop for some odd reason. I wouldn’t give up hope yet but take a look around! Took me an hour the second night to find her!

Attachments

• A65EDEF5-D1EA-4CE5-B337-03344E1D7C02.jpeg
    A65EDEF5-D1EA-4CE5-B337-03344E1D7C02.jpeg
    757.3 KB · Views: 10
Had they been consistently roosting in the coop for several weeks? If so, I suspect they were scared by a predator or taken by a predator. It's not unusual for chickens to hide under thick cover during a predator attack and stay there for several hours (even overnight). If that's the case, they will probably show up tomorrow.

ok. so, i went to check on my chickens to close their coop up and saw that 2 of my younger isa browns are missing! i'm extremely afraid because the 2 girls that are missing are my favorites. they are around 14 weeks i'd say and i really dont wanna loose my girls.

i want complete honesty, please. do, you think they might have just picked a tree to roost in, or a place to hide? ive been searching for the past hour and cant find a trace....
They'll either come back tomorrow or the next day...or they won't.
Free ranging has it's risks, you either accept the losses or keep them penned.
Even if mostly free ranging, it's good to have a secure run for times when predation might be high or an attack has happened. If one bird is eaten, that pred will be back for more.

Back
Top Bottom