missing tail feathers

herbsherbsflowers

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Covington, GA
One of my young olive egger pullets has lost some of her feathers so that there is a bare patch on her tail. I haven't seen any of the others picking on her and she seems healthy; she is not lethargic or anything. Does anyone know what might be causing that?

Not one that is apparently a rooster. They are all supposed to be pullets. I've had them a week. There are 8 chickens, 3 ameraucaunas, 3 french wheaton marans and 2 olive eggers. This is one of the olive eggers. I just noticed it last night. She is behaving fine and is active and no one seems to be picking on her. Not sure what is going on.

One of ours had a similar thing happen with just the long feathers and they started to grow back after a couple of weeks. Could also be a deficiency in the diet. Our other chickens were losing feathers (found feathers in the coop and run a lot) but were not noticeably balding. We switched their feed and it stopped. Feather production requires more protein. Also, check for mites and pests.

I'm going to get some diatomaceous earth to spread in the run to see if that helps if it is some kind of lice or something. They are still pretty skiddish of us and we are not very spry anymore, so I am diagnosing from a distance. I keep trying to offer them treats to gain their trust, but they are suspicious of that. It will just take time. Hopefully it will resolve itself as some of you have mentioned. I'll keep watching to see what happens.

Carol

Carol,

DE is good thing to put down in the coop and run. We've used it since they went into the coop. We also use a spray on the chickens and bedding called Poultry Protector. It is a natural enzyme spray that kills mites, lice and fleas.

Good luck. I am sure you will have a full feathered chicken in no time.

Al

I have a similar problem with some young roos I have. I have seperated them from their sisters, because I believe my ducks to be the culprits
They don't mind the pullets but seemed to hate the roos and I have seen them chase after them.

Back
Top Bottom