Missing them already...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nugget, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    We dropped off our 7 roosters at a farm tonight after months of trying to find a taker. It was harder than I expected and we drove away with a bit of an empty feeling. It was a hard decision but I am looking forward to the hens being 'mine' again, being able to interact with them without having to watch my back. The oldest was always there... and frequently stalking me. Even though he was a jerk I liked him. I loved watching his chivalry as he took a treat from me to give to the hens. When they were all free-ranging one day a hawk flew overhead. The hens vanished into shrubs and he stood in the middle of the lawn, staring at the sky and ready to take it on.

3 cockerels just reached maturity and we had 4 crowing roosters out there. It was awful, and it made me stressed wondering what our neighbours thought. It will be so quiet without them!

You can't have everything, and I really do think we're getting the better deal without the roosters but I wanted to say a few warm things about them as I sit trying not to regret rehoming them. Maybe some day we'll get another one, but until then I am going to spoil my hens rotten [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Awwww [​IMG] I'm sure you did the right thing.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I remember feeling the exact same way when i sent my first rooster to the farm. I felt so horrible about it. I must admit........It went away pretty fast. It was very peaceful in the coop the next day, and i knew it was the best decision. Your rooster was vey handsome......i can see how difficult it must have been. They are amazing to watch ........... I wish there were no rules [​IMG]

4. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    You know you did the right thing and tommorrow morning I bet you'll be sure of it. I would imagine those guys made quite an alarm clock symphony.

I totally understand though I've got 16 roos we're going to send to a cold climate soon and I'm sure I'll miss them too.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    7 is a LOT of roosters!!!

Your roosters were very lucky to have you as their mom, if they were mine they would be having a close encounter with my stew pot.

6. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    Thanks all of you, I figured I was around people who would understand [​IMG]
    ...yes... tomorrow morning. We'll be sure to savour the moment!

7. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    my roosters all have r rated names wanna know by come by my house sometime around 4 am. However what breed is the rooster in the pic, went to pick up some chickens tonight and there was a rooster that looked just like yours I drove away with 4 hens 1 broody ( got her transferred to cage and settled for the evening and still setting) on 10 eggs ( the person I got them from is in the army and shipping out and his wife won't keep them told him when he was ready we would help get him a flock started again......and his wife won't eat fresh eggs has to have store bought......weird huh?) We already have 5 roosters here and that is plenty . but as I drove away I was thinking should have gotten the rooster too. There was a couple more people coming to get the rest.

8. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    Ros is a gold laced wyandotte. Our 7 were silvers and golds. That is so funny that she wouldn't eat their own eggs, particularly sad that she chose production eggs over more humane alternatives. I suppose I felt hesitant holding our first egg (a bantam) over the frying pan but quickly learned to love them [​IMG]

Good luck with your broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by