missing toe

livanera

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Hi. This is my first time sending out an s.o.s. via the internet. New to chickens and blog/type things. Background info: chickens are about nine months old and were raised together.

Last night my chicken, Duchess, was bleeding and my son noticed that she is missing part of her toe. Blood everywhere but she seems ok. Can't find toe remnant or sight of mishap, leading me to believe it was not an accident but an attack by one of the other three, innocent looking chickens.

It seemed to clot a bit, but is now bleeding again and looking quite raw. My husband went to the local feed store to get 'blue lotion' that I read about, to help with infection. Any advice???? I can't really bandage it, can I? Won't they just peck any wrapping off?

I will be looking for signs of infection but is there something that I can do to prevent this from escalating? Also, they won't fess up, but someone in there is guilty.....they must be. Can they really chop off a chicken toe???

Thanks for any input.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure what to say about the toe. Sterilize it and bandage it, I guess, and keep her inside until she feels better. If she's eating and drinking she's probably not too badly harmed, as long as infection doesn't get in there.
I think it might have been some accident or a predator rather than the other hens. Good luck
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom