Missing top tail feathers

Abbylh125

In the Brooder
May 31, 2021
Hi yall! I noticed one of my lavender hens was down to only 2 tail feathers. O checked her ( named Billy Bob by my 6 year old ) and she has no signs of mites or lice. There's no raw skin or redness. It almost looks as of they were broken off. Could this be a self induced thing? She's healthy and happy other than that. First time chicken owner so just wanted to check with others. Also have not seen anyone picking on her either.

Attachments

• 20210531_124945.jpg
    20210531_124945.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm no genius about genetics, but I remember reading somewhere lavender feathers are very delicate and break off easy. She is probably preening and accidentally breaking them off.

I'm not sure you can do much about it, I tried feeding mine Feather-Fixer feed, but never noticed any improvement so went back to normal food.

I'm no genius about genetics, but I remember reading somewhere lavender feathers are very delicate and break off easy. She is probably preening and accidentally breaking them off.

I'm not sure you can do much about it, I tried feeding mine Feather-Fixer feed, but never noticed any improvement so went back to normal food.
Thank you so much! I figured it wasn't anything worrisome but being new to chickens, anything "weird" makes me worry! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom