Misspelling

Pics
Here's one, oops two, I've encountered recently.

1. People saying "weary" when they mean "wary." Heard this on the news recently. It's easy to keep them straight. When caution is needed, you have to BEWARE of something, right? So you need to "be WARY" of it. When you're tired, exhausted, worn out, extremely dreary, you're WEARY. See what I did there?

2. This, shockingly, also comes from our news anchor. Folks, you don't need to use a noun and a pronoun at the same time. I hear this sort of thing all the time: "The house, IT was a total loss." "The victim, HE died of his injuries." "The jury, IT will be sequestered." Don't do that. Use a pronoun (he, it, you, they, etc.) to TAKE THE PLACE OF a noun. Like this: "THE HOUSE caught fire about nine o'clock. IT was a total loss."

I actually have physical reactions to these things when I hear them. I flinch, my toes clench, my head jerks and I gasp for air. It would be bad enough to hear some average man on the street say them, but I could ignore it. The fact that a man, a professional, someone who gets PAID to speak, to broadcast his voice over the airwaves, is so ignorant or careless of what are basically third-grade rules of grammar, is, to me, totally unconscionable! Where are his superiors, his editorial team? What's worse, another anchor, who has been there for years longer, is beginning to do the same thing! :th:he:he:he :barnie

1. People saying "weary" when they mean "wary." Heard this on the news recently. It's easy to keep them straight. When caution is needed, you have to BEWARE of something, right? So you need to "be WARY" of it. When you're tired, exhausted, worn out, extremely dreary, you're WEARY. See what I did there?
That's a good memory tip!
Another one is using "loose" instead of "lose," as in "I rarely loose my keys." :old

It's perceived as less sincere, or maybe even angry, when you're texting. There was even a study done about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ending-your-texts-with-a-period-is-terrible/
I find this interesting, as I know for me, on here (I have no friends so don’t have experience with actual texting) but I always feel that when people DON’T use proper grammar and punctuation they are angrier.

I believe the reason is I feel this way is they don’t even feel the need to press a few buttons to make their wording readable, so they must be angry.

I find this interesting, as I know for me, on here (I have no friends so don’t have experience with actual texting) but I always feel that when people DON’T use proper grammar and punctuation they are angrier.

I believe the reason is I feel this way is they don’t even feel the need to press a few buttons to make their wording readable, so they must be angry.
If I ever stop using punctuation, I am probably very tired, drunk, or -- more likely -- being silly or panicking.

But wouldn't the 's' be silent if it were pronounced in French?
Yes, I know French and English are different, but Faverolles and Marans are French words so I should think they would be pronounced in the French manner in English. (?)
I don't think it matters how they are pronounced. Marans is the name of the breed. Even if you only have one, it is still a Marans. Not a Maran.

It's sort of like our word "driver's license." You don't have a licen. You have a license. It's late, maybe I'll think of a better example tomorrow, lol. 😔

I don't do actual texting either. :clap

I believe the reason is I feel they don’t even feel the need to press a few buttons to make their wording readable, so they must be angry.
That is a good point. Another good reason for people to stick with proper punctuation!

Back
Top Bottom