Misting incubating eggs ?

flower

Crowing
10 Years
May 16, 2009
SW US Desert
In the new April/May backyard poultry magazine there is an article on incubation and hatching. The title is "Artificial Incubating and Hatching". It is a point of view from England and has ideas that may help my hatch rate. The aspect that I most enjoy is the scientific explanations. The emphasis highlights monitoring weights and positions and goes into great detail about the mechanics of breaking out of the shell, the importance of CO2 and correct position monitoring by candling.
One point that is new to me is cooling each egg down to room temperature by spraying it with a cool mist. This step may cause some evaporation through the shell hence reduce fluid within. Has anyone used this technique. The author is using goose eggs as an example but states that all breeds are the same as far as the process of incubation.

I read somewhere that misting eggs that belong to water going fowl emulates the mother transfering water on her feathers from the pond/lake to the eggs after she's been feeding. So i'd imagine it brings a more realistic process into the incubator.

Thanks for the reply. The theory sounds interesting. I have a horrible hatch rate. A few pop out and the remainder die before hatching or even absorbing the yolk. Why do they make it that far and then quit ? Everything would point to humidity being too low at hatching but I have used every means to increase the level during the last stage. So what next ?

Flower I just had the same problem. I had one hatch out of 6 bantam eggs and the rest never pipped. They didn't absorb the yolkn either. I have a Hovabator with forced air & egg turner that I incubate in then on day 18 I place them in a still air Little Giant still air I hatch in. I keep the humidity in the incubator at 40-45 and then increase to 65 to hatch. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong! This is my second try, first time none hatched out of 10 eggs.

It is absolutely the most frustrating experience. After reading the article I am still upset. I will lower the temperature just a bit and continue to follow the directions until I ca see a difference. My chicken buddy and I have had the same experience of getting a good hatch the first incubation and then the subsequent hatches are horrible. !!!!
he.gif

It looks like your both bang on with your bator conditions. I'd look into your egg source, are the parents producing highly fertile eggs? Or are they a bit hit and miss? Are the eggs shipped or collected?

I am talking about embryos that die just before hatching on shipped and non-shipped (my flock) Also both myself and my chicken partner have had the same results.Two dozen of mine and her eggs set. Three hatched most of the remainder die just before hatching.

It looks like your both bang on with your bator conditions. I'd look into your egg source, are the parents producing highly fertile eggs? Or are they a bit hit and miss? Are the eggs shipped or collected?

The bantam eggs were my chicks and the 10 other eggs were shipped in barred rock eggs. Very frustrating!! I hate the chicks dying and the not even pipping after anticipating their arrival for 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom