Mite control with Eprinex. Has anyone used it?

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
I have used permethrin dusts which I am not fond of. Masking myself & dusting is still a messy procedure. This ProZap dust toasted the lice but is not eradicating the mites as quickly as I expect. I am on the second week of treatment dusting all birds. The coop was cleaned completely & treated with Permectrin 2 from ceiling to floor. My chickens all have 3 acres to range on & I'm aware that wild birds are carriers. I have heard that one drop of Eprinex at the base of the bird's neck can eradicate external as well as internal parasites & there is no danger regarding a withdrawal period for egg consumption. Has anyone had any experience with this product? Here is a link for it: http://www.northstarcooperative.com/NSC/Products/ivomec_eprinex.htm

I
used to use Ivomec for swine which is made by the same company & it seemed to work well. There was a withdrawal period for it though.

If you use Eprinex for Mites, do a follow up in ten days or make sure to dust again to get those eggs that hatch out.

I just posted about my experience with mites and the death of my Rooster. It is extreamly serious. You might want to consider Frontline. First State Vet Supply has it and instructions to adapt for chickens. No need to withold eggs if you use it either. It works so well on my dogs I am going to be using it for the chickens too.

Thank you all for the replies. I have found DE to be ineffective. Sevin has decreased the numbers significantly with a single use compared to ProZap permethrin powder. For bad infestations, I was instructed by a woman who raises parakeets to use Sevin dust in a bag, place the bird inside & shake it up. Questioning the affect of inhalation by my birds, I placed them in a burlap bag from the neck down & ruffled them. Blue Ribbon RX remedy was thereafter brushed on the head area with a q-tip carefully avoiding the eye areas. I have ordered the Frontline spray for future use since it has been sworn by a master breeder of Wyandottes I know. Washing of the vent area with a showerhead in the bathtub, allowing them to dry & then applying one small spritz of Frontline spray just below the vent area is supposed to do the trick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom